PDA

View Full Version : Run engine without tv cable hooked 700r4?

JJSmitches
06-15-2006, 04:05 PM
Will I hurt my trans if I run the car with TV cable not hooked up to tune the carb? The setup I have right now to connect the tv cable to the carb doesnt work well.

I have plastic tear drop shaped connector that should snap onto linkage for carb. However, the small ball connector is too large for the black plastic tear drop to actually snap onto it AND the plastic peice looks like its made for a flat round connector rather than a ball/sphere.

I still have doubts about the small spring "correction" device that allows the carb to go to WOT without pulling the TV cable out of "calibration."

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

Chad-1stGen
06-15-2006, 05:21 PM
It's been a number of years since I messed with 700r4's so I don't recall exactly. The way I remember it though is that the TV cable does have an effect on the oil pressure in the tranny and if you leave it disconnected you can basically fry the tranny. I'd not recommend running it disconnected.

72NovaSS
06-15-2006, 05:54 PM
connect it! you will go through the gears too quick if i recall and when you get on the gas your tranny will slip and start to burn up in OD since its gone through all the gears and wont downshift. i may be wrong but i'm pretty sure.

myclone
06-15-2006, 07:09 PM
Are you going to tune the carb in your driveway or are you actually going to drive the car? If youre not going to drive it then youre not going to hurt anything but if you drive it without the tv cable hooked up/adjusted the trans will be junk fairly quickly.

TV cable controls line rise/pressure and youll have minimal line pressure without it hooked up which=slipping clutches/band.

Hook it up or be prepared to donate a down payment on something your trans guy has been wanting to buy.

BRIAN
06-16-2006, 05:05 AM
You do know that you can't just hook that up to a carbs linkage correct? You need a adapter from Lokar or any other MFG who makes one. The TV valve has to open at a certain rate or you will fry the tranny pretty quickly.

Steve Chryssos
06-16-2006, 06:01 AM
It's all been said. The TV cable communicates engine load to the transmission. Disconnected, the transmission will see no load and therefore fail to increase line pressure. In neutral (or park) this is not an issue, but as soon as you drop the trans into gear with your foot on the brake, it is looking for a pressure increase. If you absolutely MUST adjust your carb without a TV cable (don't do it), put the rear wheels on jackstands a coupla inches off the ground to eliminate most of the load.

700R4 internal parts get a lot of blame that should be applied to improper TV cable installation and/or adjustment. It's best to stop what you are doing and thoroughly understand how TV cables work before proceeding.

6'9"Witha69
06-16-2006, 08:20 AM
There is a big difference in line pressure between connected and disconnected cables, even at idle. Review the Bowtie procedure for checking pressure. They will not warranty the tranny until you call in the pressures from all gears in 3 categories: disconnected, connected, pulled all the way out. You can read up on it here (http://www.tvmadeez.com/). Look at the TV 101 article as well. Take the advise of someone who has blown up many a 700.

Steve Chryssos
06-16-2006, 09:56 AM
......Take the advise of someone who has blown up many a 700.

Who hasn't?

ls67
06-16-2006, 01:01 PM
yes you can run the engine just dont engage the tranny. it only takes a short time to burn up your tranny without the cable but also remember to adust the tension on the cable so that the first shift is around 20 to 25 mph that is usually on a stock configuration about 1/4 inch of the adjustable coax sticking out, if it is not adjusted properly it will also shorten the life of the tranny

fred

JJSmitches
06-16-2006, 01:40 PM
I did not plan on putting the car in gear. Only run it in park to get the carb roughed in.

Brian missed the part in there about the spring that is supposed to fix problems with aftermarket carb throttle position.

I have heard complaints about BO and they use a completely different system than any other manufacture, so I would rather not apply thier steps to this transmission.

I guess the real question should have been would it be worse to start the car and leave it in park with the tv cable possibly adjusted incorrectly versus not connected at all.

Steve Chryssos
06-16-2006, 05:12 PM
It would not make a difference as long as the thing is in park or neutral. Remember that sometimes responses are geared towards other members who might be viewing a particular thread now or as part of a search in the future.

Sounds like you've got the situation under control.

BRIAN
06-16-2006, 05:50 PM
It isn't a spring it is a bracket that allows the TV cable to open at the correct rate. It is I guess kind of a cam shaped lobe that the cable attches to.

If you have the tranny in the car take the time to at least rough it in place. If you hold pedal to floor and then pull cable out to it's max and lock it in place you will be in a close adjustment to run it at idle. But once again look on Bowtie or any of the other sites and understand that linkage before you really start playing.

Than again my 700R4 is at FB right now getting redone as my last builders was out to lunch with his recommendations.

GetMore
06-17-2006, 06:32 AM
Basically, if you haven't figured it out from the posts above, the answer is "Yes."

If the transmission is in park you can run the engine without worrying about the TV connection.

JJSmitches
06-17-2006, 07:02 PM
Brian, I know about the brackets that you are talking about.

The manufacture that I am dealing with uses a "corrector spring" that I have attached pictures of. I was told by them to use only this and that I would not need any additional brackets to make the trans work properly. My lack of faith that this spring will fix everything is why I have posted this question.

BTW, I am running a Speed Demon Jr carb.

BRIAN
06-18-2006, 05:12 PM
When setting up a TV you are to pull cable out approx 3/8 out with throttle at rest. This usually gives you a very close setting. You can then have someone hold pedal to floor and verify cable is fully extended without slack. I would assume that spring has just the right tension to give you the initial setting. Good idea? I guess it gets you in a close ball park. I just do not think it would eliminate the progressive? bracket. The bracket is about $25 and you can still use the spring deal? $25 VS $2000 tranny? GM designed those brackets to work with that tranny. If they could have saved cash with a spring it would have been in there?

camaro608
06-18-2006, 05:24 PM
hook it up!!!!