PDA

View Full Version : valve cover/PCV questiion

SicMonte
06-14-2006, 08:45 AM
i Have a 358 small block with vortec heads. I have aluminum valve covers with a breather on one side and a pcv on the other.

I plan to road race my car..and I have seen most cars that do road racing that have the valve covers connected by a tube...and there are breathers on the tube. No pcv valve at all. Im pretty new at this and have no idea what this set up is for...anyone out there know about that??

rocketman
06-14-2006, 09:29 AM
A breather in the vavle cover will tend to throw out of them in the curves,with the breathers in front on the tube its hard for the oil to get up there.

SicMonte
06-14-2006, 09:50 AM
i understand that much...but what will happen if i take out the pcv??

SicMonte
06-16-2006, 01:42 PM
anyone...anyone? i need some help here......

rocketman
06-16-2006, 02:33 PM
with breathers you dont need a pcv vavle

cad
06-16-2006, 02:40 PM
You dont need one, but it will lessen the amount of oil that "breathes" (read: drips) out the breather. I replaced my PCV valve with a breather to see if it improved performance...it didnt matter, so I put it back in. I have a breather on one vc, and pcv on the other. I compared while at the dragstrip.

SicMonte
06-16-2006, 08:49 PM
i have the same set up you do cad. was thinking about getting the cross over tube from valve cover to valve cover...that has the two breathers on that.

kball
01-07-2007, 11:34 AM
I'd go the crossover route. Pcv's are fine, but i'm not a big fan of having oil vapor being sucked back into the motor through it.

ponchopwr70
01-07-2007, 01:55 PM
I just run 2 breathers on each side. I don't have any oil spitting out of mine. My old engine had a lot of blow by and oil would drip out. I'm not a big fan of the pcv valve, even though the oil vapor is minimal it could lower the octane of the fuel going to the engine. Take a look at my engine in my sig.

LowBuckX
01-07-2007, 09:04 PM
Lower the octane of the fuel :hand:
PCV valves will have no performance effect on or off. I prefer to not smell oil vapor in my car so I run one.
The tiny amount of vapor it sucks will have 0 effect on anything.
Ive had 2 cars with 250k miles and more woith so much blowby they pushed gaskets and dipstics out and never had any plug fouling issues from the oil vapor.
Most of the emmisions parts on our older cars have almost no effect on performance. Like the Charcoal canisters that people think hinder performance so bad.

JChristian1835
01-07-2007, 09:05 PM
I just run 2 breathers on each side. I don't have any oil spitting out of mine. My old engine had a lot of blow by and oil would drip out. I'm not a big fan of the pcv valve, even though the oil vapor is minimal it could lower the octane of the fuel going to the engine. Take a look at my engine in my sig.

:ripped: I didn't know that a pcv valve lowered the octane rating...

XCESSIV
01-08-2007, 11:03 AM
Use a catch can run the hoses to the can to catch the oil nany choices I used summit pcv valves and opened the ran to catch container from canton parts. Works well.

SicMonte
01-08-2007, 02:14 PM
do you have any pictures of what you are talking about?

nbecker
01-08-2007, 02:29 PM
[QUOTE]Use a catch can run the hoses to the can to catch the oil nany choices I used summit pcv valves and opened the ran to catch container from canton parts. Works well.[QUOTE]

does pcv valves need a vacum source to operate or is there enough pressure in the crank case?[/LEFT]

Bow Tie 67
01-08-2007, 06:24 PM
PCV also helps keep your oil cleaner buy removing combustion byproducts that end up in your crankcase.

TheRoaringEagle
01-10-2007, 12:36 AM
ponchopwr70, i was wondering about your oil filler tube. i know you are using an intake that has provision for one, but does that work on any gen1 sbc?

it looks very convenient!

ponchopwr70
01-10-2007, 05:14 AM
Yes as long as you have the intake with a hole in the front. It is very convenient. All my breathers have baffels and would take for ever to fill with out that tube.