PDA

View Full Version : 2 Bolt main with BDS blower?

SSDan
06-14-2006, 07:36 AM
I have a 454 bored out .060, with an 8-71 BDS blower. I didn't build the engine, and if I had I would have gone with a 4 bolt main. The bottom end was built right and balanced, and I use the car for mostly cruising and once in a while the drags.

Is there anything you can do to strenghten the lower end..like an add on girdle?

The engine, I was told is a 1976 454 block. That's all I know.

Should I just drive it and enjoy it and wait for it to go Boing, and then build a new engine, or is there an easy fix?

Dan

rocketman
06-14-2006, 09:32 AM
I would just go ahead and run it.I wouldn't get crazy with the boost,I say no more than 10 psi.

ProdigyCustoms
06-14-2006, 10:12 AM
Most will tell you no and they are correct according to God. But with that said, coming from the street / grudge race enviroment where we built motors to foul others, we often built grenades that would run. using nothing 2 bolt blocks, small lightweight nothing rods, light cast cranks, so the motors would spin. Often times spraying the crap out of them. more times then most, we could not kill them. But as soon as I tell you to go for it, sure enough, you will have a problem. But if it were me, and I was on a budget, I would do it.

Cheatin'Chad
06-14-2006, 05:14 PM
Switch to main studs and don't get greedy.

MarkM66
06-15-2006, 07:47 AM
Run it. 2 bolt main bbc have a lot more material on the caps and mounting surface then a sbc, for comparison sakes. If it was a sbc, I'd suggest no way.

67speedfreak
07-08-2006, 02:15 PM
I would definatly stud the mains that will help.
Also you could have a machine shop install billet spayed caps on your block. 2 bolt main BB are pretty strong should be good to 5 to 600 HP.