PDA

View Full Version : What are these in the pan

wein77
06-13-2006, 02:27 AM
This is a new TCI TH350 trany. It only has about 250 miles on it. I was driven and had the car in 2nd gear then I heard a sound come from my trany and when the shift to 3rd gear the trany acted like it was in 1st gear. I ended opening up my trany pan and found these pieces in their.

What type of TH350 was it? TCI StreetFighter BOP Transmission 311100
By this I mean what did they spec the trans to as far as power handling and severity of service? Ideal for engines producing 450 HP with a non-supercharged system.
Valve body mods? No just what it came with. Equipped with a manual/automatic valve body
Street / Strip? Daily Driver
Trans brake? No
Nitrous? No
Cooler? Yes
Convertor? Hughes 2500
What size engine and how much HP and Torque do you have in front of it? 76 Pontiac 350 has not been bored out, with Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifolds, Holley 700 double pump carb, Competition Cams Xtreme Energy Cam Advertised Duration 262/ 270, Lift .462/ .470, Competition Cams Hydraulic Flat Tappet lifter, Competition Cams Magnum Steel Roller Tip Rockers Arms 1.52 Ratio, Competition Cams Magnum Pushrods 9.300 in, Summit headers
Your driving style? I do not speed, or drive like a bad azz out of hell.
Neutral drops? No (no burn outs either)

I have still been letting the camshaft and lifters breakin. For the price of shipping I could also go down to Advance Auto parts and get one of there TH350 for $412, $200 core charge. 18 month warranty. If the trany messes up then just take it to the local Auto parts store and not ship it out like TCI, It is not even worth paying the freight charge

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...33_56_full.jpg (http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...33_56_full.jpg)

I wonder how many other people have had problems with TCI

Matt@RFR
06-13-2006, 07:01 AM
Your link doesn't work. Doesn't matter though...if it's got strange pieces of metal in the pan, more than likely it's done.

Madspeed
06-13-2006, 05:21 PM
B&M as well as TCI are Sh!7
ask everyone I know thats used one they never made it more than a week or two

A TH350 I guarentee u will last with your combo

Getting it done right is the Problem

I had a TH350 in our family blazer that my father built in 1977 Ish
we pulled a 21' trailer behind it 4 times a year then Beat the piss out of it in the dunes BTW the eng made a true 400 hp

The tranny finally let go in 1997 or thier about when I proceeded to hit it repetedly with large doses of n20 from a power brake, the output shaft snapped off the tranny was in good shape other than that

so It can be done =)

Steve Chryssos
06-13-2006, 06:27 PM
I have literally crucified my TCI streetfighter trans while R&D'ing my paddle shifter. It's hanging in just fine. Just finished 2720 mile Power Tour and then ran it at E-Town. Given the mild nature of your engine and driving style, I'd say you have a simple defect. Not some chronic TCI problem. TH350's are very simple and reliable. But then again, I haven't seen the pix you mentioned. You can put the pan back on and fill the trans if you'd like. See if it shifts okay. Might be worth the effort to avoid pulling the trans altogether. Could be it was low on fluid or had an air pocket. TCI will take care of you. Call them and email them the pic.

wein77
06-14-2006, 12:28 AM
here is my cardomain site that has pictures of my trany on it

www.cardomain.com/ride/2048633/6

sorry about that

Matt@RFR
06-14-2006, 06:50 AM
I'm no transmission guy, but I'd say something had a very bad day in there.

6'9"Witha69
06-14-2006, 07:23 AM
I ran a stock TH350 in the 69 for 3 years in front of a 400 hp mill. Afraid it was seeing it's last leg, I swapped in a B&M TH350. That thing only left the car for a 700R4 since I was doing some long hauls in it. That B&M unit survived three 383s ranging in power from 400-600 hp. The motors let go before that trans so you get an idea of how hard I was on it. Very strong and reliable trannies. I have other friends who have used TCI and B&M trannies, 350s, 400s, 700R4s all with good results.

That trans looks like toast however.

kevin@tciauto
06-15-2006, 03:49 AM
Lukus,
I'd really like to help you with your transmission trouble. Please contact our Warranty Manager, Jerry, at (662)224-9365. I've apprised him of your situation. We'll be glad to help you out.
Kevin Winstead
TCI Automotive