PDA

View Full Version : HELP with fuel system

500hp club
06-12-2006, 07:47 PM
I have a ZZ502 566.9 hp @ 5800 605 Ft tq at 4000 in a 74 Z/28 camaro. I used a stock fuel tank and put a comp enginering sump in it mounted the fuel pump (Barry grant 220 HR) in the area where the muffler was. Its mounted as low as I can get it with out being to low. -10 fittings and hose from the sump to the pump the filter is attached to the pump, -8 out of the pump to the carb regulator that came with the 220 hr pump and - 10 return to the tank. the pump runs hot and when I am crusing it cuts off and i have to poor ice water on it or wrap a ice soaked towel arround it then it waors for a while and the same thing happens. I too the car out today and it seems to be happening more often i lowered the pump like BG said when i called them today but that didint help. .....Oh and I am using the vent from the stock sending unit to vent the tank ? What gives please help has anyone had this problem? Forgive the spelling and gramer im tired and dont feel like messing with it. :pat:

TUBED
06-12-2006, 09:12 PM
I don't know for sure that this will solve your problem but you might look into a Weldon Dial-A-Flow or something similar where you can control the current pull on the pump for normal street driving to W.O.T. (wide open throttle)
Check to be sure before you throw any more money at it.
Gerald

Bclarke
06-23-2006, 07:53 PM
Did you ever get it working?

I have 68 Camaro with the stock fuel tank sending unit, 3/8th output.

Using a BGHR 220 pump like you, and the first time out with it overheated the pump and had to sit in a parking lot for about 20min to let it cool down.

My guess is that the exhaust pipe is too close. Hoping to fab up something to shield the heat

I don't have any vent in the tank that I know of, just the Stock Sending unit pickup tube to a new AN Line and a new return line that dumps the return fuel in via the filler neck (a Moroso Part that fits between the filler tube and tank).

John McIntire
06-24-2006, 02:58 PM
Is that pump rated for continuous duty? I know that Weldon, and Aeromotive, and I think even MSD make a voltage control box to cut back on the voltage. I ran a Magnafuel pump, and had no problems with it wired directly to a relay.(its for sale too, hint hint)
Good luck!

Bclarke
06-25-2006, 09:36 AM
Is that pump rated for continuous duty? I know that Weldon, and Aeromotive, and I think even MSD make a voltage control box to cut back on the voltage. I ran a Magnafuel pump, and had no problems with it wired directly to a relay.(its for sale too, hint hint)
Good luck!

I think it should be rated for continuous duty: I am wondering if the fact that I am not using fuel cell, just the stock tank and -6 line is overheating it.

Based on the BG220PS pump this pump includes a separate diaphragm bypass that mounts at the carburetor to return unneeded fuel to the cell allowing the pump to operate at cooler temperatures. Requires a -10 AN feed and return line. Includes BG Lifetime Labor warranty.

170013BG220HRHot-Rod Series Electric Fuel Pump• Continuous Duty - Designed for high hp street-driven vehicles• Flows over 220 gph• Includes BG Diaphragm Bypass• Draws only 8 amps at 13.6 volts• -10 AN inlet and outlets• Lifetime Labor warranty and Free Flow-testing• Weighs only 3-1/2 lbs• Dimensions: 5-1/4" tall, 2-1/2" diameter motor

Tech @ BG
06-28-2006, 09:56 AM
The plumbing on these pumps is extremely critical. If the pump is overheating to the point that it's actually shutting off there is most likely some sort of cavitation problem. The stock venting on the tank is not going to be nearly enough, you'll need at least a -8AN (1/2") vent.

Bclarke
06-28-2006, 10:24 AM
The plumbing on these pumps is extremely critical. If the pump is overheating to the point that it's actually shutting off there is most likely some sort of cavitation problem. The stock venting on the tank is not going to be nearly enough, you'll need at least a -8AN (1/2") vent.

Thanks that is good info, that was probably a big factor . The pump was still running, but struggling to push/pull fuel.

I just pulled my filter and it was clogged pretty bad too.

I think I had 2 problems working against me. 1 too small line -6 instead of -8 , some heat soak into the line (fixed that). But mainly the fuel filter clogging with some sort of gooy slime :)

The tank is brand new, so I am not sure were this crud is coming from, all new lines too.