PDA

View Full Version : Autocross at Goodguys Nashville event

bret
06-12-2006, 06:41 PM
Air Ride Technologies is hosting the first Street Challenge Autocross at the Nashville Goodguys event on June 23 and 24. The Street Challenge Autocross is open to any Goodguys participant [the Nashville show is for '72 and older vehicles] with any kind of suspension. We're giving a trophy and a set of BF Goodrich tires to the fastest Street Rod [48 and older] and the fastest Musclecar [everything else].
Officially [according to the IRS and my CFO] this is a promotional event for Air Ride Technologies. Unofficially...I'll use ANY excuse to drive the hell out of my junk. We're bringing my 70 GSX, my wife's 67 Camaro, a 66 Chevelle, a 68 Bonneville, a 56 F100 truck [yes, the one with the Mustang II frontend] a 66 Nova, and a 71 Camaro. The guys from Year One have said they will be there with several cars as well. Several of the magazine guys have promised to show up to see if they can trash any of my stuff.
There is no charge for participation [other than entering the Goodguys event]. I've grown tired of sitting around in a lawn chair watching the posers make noise...time to make some real noise. Come on out and have fun. We are running the autocross from 8:00am to 5:00pm Friday and Saturday. I talked to a bunch of people at the Power Tour and at Goodguys Indy last weekend about this...lots of interest...we'll see who shows up. Hope to see you there!

TUBED
06-12-2006, 09:49 PM
That's cool I look forward to checking out Air Rides cars Bret. Where are they going to setup the Autocross, will it be at the Titans stadium or some other location?
Gerald

Tony@AirRideTech
06-13-2006, 04:58 AM
Now Bret..... You remember how I like my steaks dont ya? :)

Gerald, it is at the event location at Titan Stadium... :)

Bob Johnson
06-26-2006, 06:24 PM
Brett and crew at air ride deserve a lot of praise from everyone. They had 6 or more of their own vehicles running at the Autocross. When I mean running, I mean over a thousand passes made with his own vehicles. He was letting nearly anyone drive his cars, and everyone was invited to ride in them. They ran the absolute snot out of them too. Ran them 110% all day for 2 days. These are some of the greatest guys (and gal) in this sport. This promises to be a nice addition to the Goodguys events. At one point, there were people standing 4 deep all down the fence..This is going to be a big deal at Kansas City and Dallas Goodguys. We all need to come out and support their effort. We all need to personally thank all of them for their super hard work this week-end. He's proving his product absolutely works..

Tony@AirRideTech
06-27-2006, 02:50 PM
Bob;
Coming from you... that paragraph means alot! The crew down at the autocross went above the call of duty to make sure everyone had a great time.... Thank you ! We have been having such a fun time taking these "new" old cars around a track and everybody.... I mean everybody that has participated in one of the events has had a ball..... except for maybe the one guy with the Trans-Am in Atlanta that caught on fire... :firefire: Not only that but it gives you the chance to let it hang out and really experience what you have spent all of that time and money building. The main reason why we put on the StreetChallenge every year is so that we can legally beat our stuff up. For our CFO it is "product development" :)
Hats need to be taken off for you as well.... To have a car as nice as yours and actually "use" it says alot. That is the great thing about Bret and beating up his cars.... he would not bitch me out for grenading the motor as long as I didnt grenade it by not checking the oil..... heck I used the sound of floating valves as my shift indicator in the red camaro .... and when we blew up the motor in the black camaro on the way back, the only question he had was how fast was she going when she let loose ( two hot rods leaving a toll booth at the same time is way to tempting to re-form the floor pan with the gas pedal).

Bob Johnson
06-27-2006, 03:31 PM
you blew up the Jasper Motor that was in the black 2nd gen camaro after you left Nashville? I hate to hear that..but you did just beat the living snot out of it down there..Bret is a true warrior..not 1 but was it 6 cars and a truck? over 1,000 passes on his own vehicles? His vehicles kept the ball rolling until everyone finally got the message. Let's hope more of the pro-touring crowd supports Brett's efforts..He made more of a sacrifice than all of us combined..not only in Nashville, but at Year One Experience too. That isn't the first motor he's grenaded..believe me, this gets expensive. These aren 't junk yard motors. But sometimes the engine builders don't take into account the G's that your pulling side to side and stoping and accelerating. That oil pump and bearings don't like it when there's no oil due to it being somewhere else in the pan. Gotta build a pan that will prevent this from happening. I hope everyone appreciates what you're doing for this sport as much as I do. I think very soon everyone will be tooting the horn you brought to the party..you deserve all the credit..Hope this is selling a lot of air ride stuff..cause I know you're spending big bucks..

formula
06-27-2006, 03:56 PM
Bob;
Coming from you... that paragraph means alot! The crew down at the autocross went above the call of duty to make sure everyone had a great time.... Thank you ! We have been having such a fun time taking these "new" old cars around a track and everybody.... I mean everybody that has participated in one of the events has had a ball..... except for maybe the one guy with the Trans-Am in Atlanta that caught on fire... :firefire: Not only that but it gives you the chance to let it hang out and really experience what you have spent all of that time and money building. The main reason why we put on the StreetChallenge every year is so that we can legally beat our stuff up. For our CFO it is "product development" :)
Hats need to be taken off for you as well.... To have a car as nice as yours and actually "use" it says alot. That is the great thing about Bret and beating up his cars.... he would not bitch me out for grenading the motor as long as I didnt grenade it by not checking the oil..... heck I used the sound of floating valves as my shift indicator in the red camaro .... and when we blew up the motor in the black camaro on the way back, the only question he had was how fast was she going when she let loose ( two hot rods leaving a toll booth at the same time is way to tempting to re-form the floor pan with the gas pedal).

Heh, bret, at least now you've got the excuse you needed to swap the mufflers on the 71, eh? What let loose in the motor?

Tony@AirRideTech
06-28-2006, 07:19 AM
actually we blew the motor coming back from Atlanta..... the new Jasper motor is running like clockwork just like it did all weekend and we did not have any problems with the 71 at all.... :)

Bob Johnson
06-29-2006, 02:50 AM
actually we blew the motor coming back from Atlanta..... the new Jasper motor is running like clockwork just like it did all weekend and we did not have any problems with the 71 at all.... :)
It's a miracle..the way you were beating on it..those rear wheels went into a death hop more than a time or two..I thought you stole that car somewhere or it's name was the same as your ex-wife..

bret
07-03-2006, 09:30 PM
I get a lot of credit for doing this, that , or the other, but the reality is that Air Ride Technologies exists to feed my Hotrod disease. [hotrodding IS a disease. It cannot be cured, only managed :)]
The Street Challenge autocross was my latest excuse to party with horsepower. As with any party, the more people who come, the more fun we all have.
Come to Kansas City and/or Dallas...lets PARTY!
BTW...there will also be an autocross at the Rod and Custom Americruise in Lincoln NE. on July 28 and 29. We're not operating that one, but we'll be there with at least 2 cars trying to break something. The Americruise is open to cars 72 and older.
Bob...thanks again bringing the Cuda out to show everyone how to have a good time with cars.

sonic69
07-04-2006, 02:14 AM
My friends and I must have watched it for 3 hours. Seeing all Airrides cars and the Cuda run kicked butt. we even enjoyed watching the guy in the stang that couldn't figure out the cones and then chucked the belt. Is it going to happen in Columbus this weekend?

Bob Johnson
07-04-2006, 05:21 AM
I especially liked the guy in the late 40's Chevy 2 dr. Sedan Streetrod that was trying to better John Mafucci's time. He was out of control most of the time. He had that thing so out of shape it was ridiculous, but he always got it back. The thing really handled pretty good. It was very entertaining. The 71 yellow blown Camaro was fun to watch as was the 71 of Air Rides. I hope people work on their set ups and make this a big deal for future Goodguys events. If Brett can maintain his enthusiasm and not go broke in the process, it is going to work..Some of the magazines and the Goodguys Gazette need to help promote this and write some articles on it to facilitate a tire deal for Air Rides..those tires get expensive when you run over 1,000 passes in a week end.

Bill Howell
07-04-2006, 01:53 PM
Here is a video of the autocross we will be running here at the 06 Tour in the Hills show.
Let me know what yall think

BTW, right click and "Save as"
ftp://hpt:[email protected]/Tony%20BoltOn.wmv

Bret, I called you yesterday but you had left. I hope you are still planning on coming to this one, Sept. 17
I left you a voicemail with my number, call me or pm

Finch
08-02-2006, 10:44 AM
Hey guys My name is Brian and I am the owner & driver of the 1971 blown yellow camaro that won the event in Nashville. I was wondering if anyone had any pictures or videos of my car running at the event. So far I have not came across any pic's or articles on the Autocross event. Our local paper did an article on the Good Guys show and used my car in the picture but incorrectly listed Rodney Mason from Air Ride as the owner.

Thanks,

Bill Howell
08-05-2006, 06:21 PM
dual 4 stang,
Check your private messages. We would love to have you come to our event here in Pigeon Forge too. Some of the same guys you raced there will be here too. Let me know.