PDA

View Full Version : Who to go to on turbos

rocketman
06-11-2006, 07:58 PM
I have this thing for building a TT car.Who is the best on the turbo stuff.I build my own engine's so I don't need someone to build it just get alittle advice.

A nitrous guy going turbo's

Charley Lillard
06-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Wheel 2 Wheel

alky
06-11-2006, 10:44 PM
For turbos alone, call Jhon Craig at Limit Eng.

Y-TRY
06-12-2006, 02:53 PM
I vote Precision Turbo & Engine

ProStreet R/T
06-12-2006, 06:17 PM
Many of the big name builders aren't likely to hand over the secrets that took them hundreads of hours to find, especially when it comes to cam selection.

If you want to write a check for it, ya can't go wrong with W2W or Tom Nelsons shop.

If it's something you want to tackle yourself just start reading. Lots of research, and ask around the forums will go a long way.

Do a search here and there is tons of info available.

rocketman
06-12-2006, 06:47 PM
Has an engine builder,I understand that,And I don't expect it,But a little info I don't think is a big deal.I know I am not going to just give out all the secerts I have picked up over the years.

Anybody dealt with Innovative Turbo,Have been doing alittle research on them.They have some of the fastest 10.5 cars around.

TurboLark
06-15-2006, 12:31 PM
Kenny Duttweiller

OHCbird
06-18-2006, 06:52 PM
If you're looking for reccomendations & a possible buy, I'd call Job or Chase Spetter, at Turbo People in NY. He tunes Big Daddy's drag radial car (the record holder).

nitrorocket
06-19-2006, 01:26 PM
I can throw you in all the right directions. Feel free to P.M. me for any questions.

RSX302
06-19-2006, 08:59 PM
Welcome to the Boosted side. Another one converted!

Innovative Turbo is alright. They do some clean work. I worked with Justin.

syborg tt
06-20-2006, 06:17 AM
Here is the build of the motor in the Chicayne (( 1200hp )). The notes are as complete as i can get you.

Block
Darts Iron Eagle small block 406 cubic inch with a deck height of 9.030 and bore of 4.125. The block is a larger casting to allow for stroker cranks. The main bearing is 2.65 and the cam was raised .391 and is also the same size as a big block at 2.120. The crank is a Lunati 3.750 with Lunati connecting rods and spins in Federal Mogul racing bearings. The crank is held in with splayed 4-bolt main caps. Pistons are Lunati reverse dome 8.5:1 ratio with Speed Pro rings and full floating pins held in with dual snap ring retainers. An ATI damper and GM flywheel are at either end of the crank. A Stef’s oil pan has been modified 1” for ground clearance and is set up for wet sump and baffled right and left for the turbo return lines. There is also an external sight gauge.

Cylinder Heads
Dart’s Generation II cylinder head with 18-degree stainless valves. The heads have a receiving groove cut into their face to accept a stainless o-ring in between the block and cylinder head. Flat Out copper head gaskets were used .040 thick and an ARP stud kit provides the fastening.
A Jesel valve train with a 1.545 roller rocker ratio and tie bar system was used. The intake rockers are offset to clear the intake runners in the head. Comp Cams valve springs with an installed height of 1.930, seat pressures of 2001 lbs. closed and 475 lbs. open. Comp Cams titanium retainers with 10-degree keepers and 11/32-lash caps keep it all in check. The pushrods are also supplied by Comp Cams and are 3/8" diameter and .8415 in length. Jesel offset roller rockers ride the bump stick and are .8415 in diameter. Comp Cams supplied the special-cut cam with the following specs.
Lobe Separation .114
Intake Duration .230
Exhaust Duration .239
Intake lift .560
Exhaust Lift .570
A new composite distributor gear from Comp Cams was used to wear on the adjustable cam gear spinning with a Comp Cams dual roller timing chain. A Comp Cams three piece timing cover allows access.

Intake
Hand built aluminum plenum by Rad Rides By Troy
Fuel rails hand fabricated, polished aluminum with Bosch injectors controlled by Big Stuff III software.
Intake valley equipped with Aeromotive pressure regulator p/n13109 with two rails of fuel pressure in and one rail out to return unused fuel to tank. The intake valley also has a #12 XRP line fastened to a breather canister in the lifter valley to provide an intake source for the vacuum pump. There are no external breathers; the engine crankcase is kept in a vacuum state at all times to prevent possible denotation especially under full boost.
A late model corvette throttle body was used for its size and also the capability to use an electric throttle after Big Stuff III’s software is ready for electronic traction control.

The thermostat housing has been relocated in a parallel plane with the intake to clear the throttle body and accessories. Water temperature sender for the Autometer gauge is located in the front and the water temperature sensor for the computer is located in the back of the intake. The intake gaskets and port matching plates were cut by Flat Out Gaskets. Their gaskets are coated with a sealing silicone film to help control boost pressures. The intake and all other engine components are held in place by ARP’s 12-point stainless bolts. All bolts are torqued to ARP’s molly lube specifications to insure proper bolt stretch. Dry bolts take 65 to 75 percent of the torque to overcome friction.

Accessories
Powermaster supplied the Starter and 130 Amp 37860 Alternator; the power steering pump is GM. For air conditioning a Vintage Air compact compressor is utilized. Cooling is handled by a Meziere billet water pump. Ford racing supplied the vacuum pump. Billet Specialties machined a special prototype serpentine pulley system that has been hard anodized green.
The vacuum pump pulls from the intake valley, passes trough the Steph’s oil separator on the left side of the oil pan. It then passes through the pump which exhausts through a Steph’s Breather Canister to muffle pump noise; it is also mounted on the left side of the oil pan. The engine mounts are stock with two 3/8” bolts drilled through center sections to prevent mount breakage and still allow good vibration control.

Ignition
MSD’s flying crank trigger provides the signal to the ECM and a MSD #85502 Distributor with rotor phase capabilities (set at 25 deg. BTC) and an adjustable mag pick up to set cam sync which provides a cam signal to the ECM. The crank trigger is set at 65 deg BTC, this allows for Big Stuff III’s ECM to have a large variance to be used by the processor.
The ECM then supplies the MSD 7AL box its signal through the wire normally used for a point signal. A MSD Pro Power Coil #8251 provides the final spark through MSD ignition wires. The new design crank pulley acts as a centering piece for the MSD’s crank trigger and does away with the need to space the pulley system on stock applications.
MSD also supplied a RPM switch to engage a relay to turn on a second Aeromotive fuel pump at 3800 RPM to insure fuel at full boost.
The valve covers are DOME carbon fiber with a pressure relief valve installed; incase of vacuum pump failure. The other cover has an oil fill cap with a vacuum tee in the center to run the Autometer vacuum gauge, this provides the driver with a constant vacuum signal on the gauge to show the system is functional and full boost is safe.

John Meany’s Big Stuff III is in charge of taking readings from TPS, Water, ATP, MAP (vacuum and boost GM # 16040749) RPM, Crank, Cam and wide band O2 sensors. Insuring that the turbos become HUGE friendly horsepower due to Meany’s electronic control module.

Exhaust
Stainless 321 titanium, polished with a tube size of 1-3/4in. fastened to the heads with a 3/8in. stainless SPD flange port matched with Comp Cams aluminum flanges. The tubes join in a collector capable of moving due to expansion or internal pressure. The collector dumps into twin Precision turbos model #PT52 and fresh air is routed from an airbox located in the turn signal housing. Turbonetics pressure regulators control boost pressure and bypass extra pressure in the exhaust header. These regulators are vacuum adjustable 15 to 25lbs of boost from the driver's compartment. The turbos are oiled from the front pressure point in the Dart block. There is a .060 carb jet in line to control oil flow. All the exhaust and turbo fasteners are safety-wired ARP 12-point bolts. The exhaust is HPC coated.

Dart Iron Eagle 400 CI “Small Block” Chevy
Intake Plenum, Aluminum, Hand-Built by Rad Rides By Troy
Fuel Rails, Hand-Fabricated
Bosch Fuel Injectors
Aeromotive Fuel Pumps (2)
Corvette Throttle Body (late-model, for future upgrade to electronic traction-control)
Dart Generation II Cylinder Heads (18-degree valves, grooved, with O-rings and ARP studs)
Comp Cams Valve Springs with Titanium Retainers
Comp Cams Pushrods
Comp Cams Camshaft (special cut, with adjustable cam gear)
Comp Cams Dual Roller Timing Chain with 3-Piece Cover
Comp Cams Distributor, Composite
Jesel Valve Train
Jesel Offset Roller Rockers
Lunati Crankshaft with 4-Bolt Main
Lunati Connecting Rods
Federal Mogul Racing Bearings
Lunati Pistons, Reverse Dome, 8.5:1
Speed Pro Rings with Full-Floating Pins and Dual Snap-Ring Retainers
ATI Damper
Stef’s Oil Pan (wet sump, baffled for turbo return lines; modified for 1” ground clearance)
Ford Racing Vacuum Pump (no external breathers; constant vacuum to prevent detonation under full boost)
Stef’s Oil Separator
Stef’s Breather Canister
Powermaster Starter
Powermaster 130-Amp Alternator
Billet Specialties Serpentine Pulley System (Prototype)
Vintage Air A/C Compressor
DOME Carbon Fiber Valve Covers
MSD #85502 Distributor with Rotor Phase Capabilities
Big Stuff III Electronic Control Module
MSD 7AL Ignition
MSD #8251 Pro Power Coil
MSD Ignition Wires
MSD RPM Switch (to activate second Aeromotive fuel pump at 3,300 RPM)
Stainless 321 Titanium Exhaust, 1-3/4”
Precision Turbo Model #PT52 Turbochargers (2)
Turbonetics Pressure Regulators
Meziere Billet Water Pump
Griffin Radiator
XRP HS 79 Hose (Teflon and silicone with stainless steel reinforcement, Nomex outer braid)
Custom Aluminum Fuel Cell, 23-Gallon Capacity
Optima Batteries (2)

nitrorocket
06-20-2006, 08:01 AM
How much power did Chicayne make???1200 HP??????

syborg tt
06-20-2006, 08:57 AM
yep - 1200hp

nitrorocket
06-20-2006, 12:58 PM
I saw that car first hand... I could'nt ven find a piece of dust on it!! NICE!

syborg tt
06-20-2006, 01:03 PM
yep it's a pretty incredible car. They just replaced the entire exhaust and now it exits out the belly pan in the rear

rocketman
06-20-2006, 02:54 PM
I am thinking a TT in the 1500-1800 hp bracket,I have been talking to some people on turbos,I am thinking like a 555 or 575 bb TT,now it's just what to put it in.I have been thinkin 55 chev or 66-67 chevelle or 67 nova.

nitrorocket
06-20-2006, 05:44 PM
The 55 or the 66 is more rare. The nova will be the fastest!

camaro608
06-20-2006, 06:28 PM
get some greddy turbos........ oh your not building a honda

lol

nitrorocket
06-20-2006, 06:53 PM
Is this gonna be a PT car???

Anything over 800-900 hp is ludicrously deadly!

rocketman
06-20-2006, 08:45 PM
Well I haven't decided on style either pro touring or pro street.
My current ride is a pro street 37 Ford coupe with a 710 bbc efi,nos w/4l80e.it makes 1100 hp.so hp is nothing new

In a pro tour style it would be useless but fun.you will never get enough tire to really hook it.but it would damn sure make for a damn fast ride.

I have been thinking about one of the fiberglass 67 nova bodies from venmon.

syborg tt
06-21-2006, 04:28 AM
If you interested i have a pro-street gmc syclone i have the perfect project for $6500.00 that i don't have time to finish. It would save you a bunch of money, however you may want to consider a small block.

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?p=175206#post175206

Lethal Injection
06-21-2006, 11:05 AM
Unless you do something like the Venom, the chevy II 62-67 would not be a good choice. The problem is the downpipes and intercooler packaging. The nose of the car makes it almost impossible to run an air to air intercooler with out setting the sngine back.

Not saying it can't be done but it would be tight and costly.

slow4dr
06-21-2006, 12:17 PM
Unless you do something like the Venom, the chevy II 62-67 would not be a good choice. The problem is the downpipes and intercooler packaging. The nose of the car makes it almost impossible to run an air to air intercooler with out setting the sngine back.

Not saying it can't be done but it would be tight and costly.

I've got a 28" tall, almost 40" wide, and 4" thick I/C on the front of my II. The grill has to be slightly modified and I had to remove the hood latch but otherwise it was pretty straight forward. This is with the stock core support also.

I have the luxury of only needing one downpipe(4") and it's on the passenger side so I don't have to worry about the steering components. More than likely I will have mine exit through the fender well which could be done pretty easily on both sides if needed.

The core is from Banks and it's for a 6.0 Ford P/S.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/04/wastegate001-1.jpg

rocketman
06-21-2006, 02:41 PM
I might do a late model corvette with a big cube LSx engine.

Drove a friends TT 434 Ls1 style corvette today it was bad to the bone.

I just don't know.

Madspeed
06-21-2006, 09:53 PM
Thats funny you should say that.
I was going to suggest doing a TT Ls1 they are lighter and the block is isanely strong.

the5farrs
06-22-2006, 02:36 AM
im going to

nitrorocket
06-22-2006, 07:07 AM
Me too!!

Madspeed
06-22-2006, 08:07 PM
Me 3
After I sell my new 496 BB Chev
:3gears:

rocketman
06-22-2006, 08:59 PM
I was checking out some 500+ cube lsx style engines over on ls1 tech.

I am kinda see a 67 Impala convert or 55 chev convert pro tour style.

Y-TRY
06-23-2006, 08:49 AM
Is this gonna be a PT car???

Anything over 800-900 hp is ludicrously deadly!

I 2nd that. Maybe not "deadly" but crazy! I took my TT P-T car to the 1/8th mile track and it was rediculous. But I knew it would be. Just be prepared to spin.
:seizure:

rocketman
06-23-2006, 11:13 AM
Well you now how M/T has those new Pro Touring radial tires now.HEHEHEHEHE

nitrorocket
06-23-2006, 11:33 AM
I 2nd that. Maybe not "deadly" but crazy! I took my TT P-T car to the 1/8th mile track and it was rediculous. But I knew it would be. Just be prepared to spin.
:seizure:

What is your combo? How much power?

Drag radials work for crap at huge power levels in case anyone is wondering. Maybe the MT, or Hoosier's are better, I will try the Hoosiers!:twothumbs

jdpepper
06-23-2006, 02:55 PM
Drag radials work for crap at huge power levels in case anyone is wondering. Maybe the MT, or Hoosier's are better, I will try the Hoosiers!:twothumbs
Do you mean street radials or drag radials? Last I checked there are guys in the 7's with drag radials.

nitrorocket
06-23-2006, 04:56 PM
O.K. I will refraise. They work like crap with 17" rims on a 1000 hp pro touring car!:hammer:

ProStreet R/T
06-23-2006, 05:05 PM
O.K. I will refraise. They work like crap with 17" rims on a 1000 hp pro touring car!:hammer:

It's all in the car setup.

But i'm a firm believer you can run 1000+ on the street with 18" drag radials, heck we do it all the time. Yeah it gets a little loose if you nail the throttle at anything under 140mph, but what do you expect.

Stage the boost per gear, setup the suspension to take the hit, and you can make it work very well. As in drive to the track on 18" drag radials, rip off some mid 9 sec passes at 155mph, and run through a drive-thru to get dinner on the way home.

Oh just be ready, most stock cupholders aren't up to a wide open 3rd gear pull on a 1000rwhp car. :hand:

Beegs
06-23-2006, 05:42 PM
I am curious as to why Banks' turbo package has not been mentioned? I know W2W etc.. are top notch but the TT setup from Banks seems to be a nicely packaged setup. I have been thinking of going that route and would like to see some of you comment on their system, good, bad etc..

ProStreet R/T
06-23-2006, 05:53 PM
I am curious as to why Banks' turbo package has not been mentioned? I know W2W etc.. are top notch but the TT setup from Banks seems to be a nicely packaged setup. I have been thinking of going that route and would like to see some of you comment on their system, good, bad etc..

If you're looking for a basic bolt on system, 650ish hp the banks setup will get the job done. My feeling is for the price, and that most of us want more power potential, it just isn't up to the job. Plus isn't their setup fairly limited as to which heads you can use etc.? Depending on the motor build a custom may be the only option.

nitrorocket
06-23-2006, 06:17 PM
I think Banks is a rip-off for what you get and the performance. I would look at all the options.

slow4dr
06-23-2006, 09:19 PM
If you're looking for a basic bolt on system, 650ish hp the banks setup will get the job done. My feeling is for the price, and that most of us want more power potential, it just isn't up to the job. Plus isn't their setup fairly limited as to which heads you can use etc.? Depending on the motor build a custom may be the only option.

640HP was made on 91 California pump gas with no intercooler and 6 psi creeping up to 9psi by redline. The same kit made 1120HP on 100 octane, 20 psi and an intercooler all with a 8.4:1 366" engine. The manifolds have been completely redesigned since that HP number was produced. *see pics below* The new Tial v-band waste gates are also used now to keep boost creep in check. The manifolds will work with any 23 degree head with raised or standard exhaust ports. The only heads I have seen have fitment issues are some of the AFR's and that is because the valve cover lip interferes with the Banks heatshields.

There is an option to get the kit without the pressure chamber or boost tubes for under $4800. For people that have a different throttle body than the 4150 DFI/Pro-Flo/Commander style can benefit from that option.

New manifold is on the right.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
New manifold is on the bottom.
New manifold and Tial 44mm waste gate on the right.(Old waste gates were 38mm)