PDA

View Full Version : Are MagnaFlow SS systems any good?

tomspo04
06-11-2006, 12:33 AM
I don't hear a lot about magna Flow Stainless Steel Systems on the website. Does any one have one of their systems? I'm looking for info on the 3" systems on a BBC, specifically.

oleyeller
06-11-2006, 07:32 AM
I just received my 2.5" Stainless Steel Kit #15895 from an Ebay purchase. Xpipe and Transverse muffler. The tubing is A409 not T304 material. After cutting out my old pipes, and trying to hang all the new stuff per the directions, I found it impossible to fit the tubes together. The X pipe is OK, but the tubes over the axle are not even close to fitting. I pulled the stuff out and tried to assemble the kit on the floor and it will not fit together. The bend angles are far enough off that they will not insert into the muffler. What's a few degrees here and there..... I thought about cutting and welding, then said Bulls--t to that,, I paid good money to get a system I didn't have to build. So, now I start the HOW do I return this POS process.. I'm sure that will be fun.... Now the car is down untill this crap is resolved.
The parts look nice, But it appears the guy running the bender has eye trouble, and the Final inspection process doesn't work.

tomspo04
06-11-2006, 06:58 PM
If mines as bad as you say yours is...back to JEGS it goes. I've got a little while before I'll get to try it, though. Thanks for the info.

TD509EFI
06-12-2006, 07:28 PM
I have the 3" system for my 509 BBC 79 Camaro, but not installed yet. I've laid everything out on the floor and mocked it up. All parts on mine fit well. I will have to do some cutting at the headers, because I'm using cats. But just looking at the mock up and doing some additional measuring, cutting would have been necessary without the cats as well. I'll also need extensions on the tails since I want it to exit beneath the bumper.

As mentioned, the tubing is 409, so it can't be polished to a sheen like 304, but the mufflers are polished 304.

Overall, looks like a nice system, but, as with most other kits, some cutting will be necessary.

John

tomspo04
06-12-2006, 11:02 PM
John, When do you plan on installing your system? Since our vehicle/system combo is very similier, I'd really be interested to see how it goes for you. I bet that 509 moves that Camaro along real well.

Tom

oleyeller
06-13-2006, 02:55 PM
Not thrilled with Magnaflow

TD509EFI
06-13-2006, 07:55 PM
I've got an appointment for the paint/bodywork inspection this week, but considering how busy this guy is, I'll be surprised if I get it back at the end of Summer. Oh well, gives me time to start taking it apart and boxing/labelling everything.

Donb't expect the 509 / T56, along with the exhaust, to be installed for some time.

Incidentally, I heard the 3" system on a well known local '70 Nova at a car show. Fit looked real good, and the sound was awesome! That's what sold me.

John