PDA

View Full Version : Modulation problems with new hydaboost-help???

Dan Sherwood
06-10-2006, 04:11 PM
Just recieved 3 hydraboost kits from hydratech, 2 for 1st gen camaros, and one for my 01 C3 truck.

The truck had the biggest issue with spongy brakes so I started with it, and to my absolute horror (oh the humanity) I've got issues with the pedel modulating (vibrating) and it and the steering wheel causing an unholy chattering sound.

I recieved the kits 3 days later than promised by Paul, so of course he's on power tour this week. I did talk to another tech at hydratech and he tells me that it's a normal deal, use a product "lube guard" to help get the air out of the lines, and drive it a few hundred miles and all should be well... The first thing the shop did was replace the power steering pump thinking it had blown up the insides with the higher pressure-no help.

After 50-60 miles I see no difference. On the few times before the modulation starts (and then the brake/pedal pressure goes bye-bye) the brakes do feel better, but certainly not enough to get past this issue.

I believe from the feedback here that hopefully Paul @ hydratech will help with this issue, but never heard any info on this issue previously, and wondering if anyone else has had this happen and how it was solved??? I will not be doing anything on the 2 camaro kits until I know this issue can be solved.

Any input would be appreciated! Thx!

Dan Sherwood
06-12-2006, 08:25 PM
Now I'm told I need a $350+ "super" power steering pump after just spending $175 on a gm "hydroboost" pump???

Not Good!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick Dorion
06-13-2006, 03:46 AM
Dan, I'm using the DSE $185 pump with fine results.

terryr
06-25-2006, 03:29 PM
I just installed a wrecking yard hydroboost in my mustang. It was a bit weird for a few miles but cleared up. I increased pressure and flow in the stock pump and it works fine.

http://members.shaw.ca/pekpress/HydroboostSwap.html

John S
06-26-2006, 04:59 PM
I installed a Hydroboost last year and had one day to get it together before heading to a show in Delaware. Wouldnt you know it my metric PS pump wouldnt work so I had to buy another unit from Adcance auto parts, cost about 60 buck if I remember and it's been working fine since. I do know that there is a specific pump with the extra return port but I t'd mine in and all is good.

Dan Sherwood
06-27-2006, 08:00 PM
As an update, the hydraboost unit for the 01 truck blew up the stock pump that had 113,000+ miles on it, so paul suggested we get a super pump from an outfit in Texas. After waiting a week, and being told twice it was on it's way, and then on the third call to them they then tell us they hav'nt shipped yet cuz they are waiting on a supplier. Why did'nt they tell us that to start with? I really dislike liars! (This was not Paul or the hydratech co). I bought a new gm pump that goes with gm's hydraboost units, and we first checked line pressure which was at 700 psi, which is way too much. Paul sent us some valves that have reduced the pressure to a sane limit, but I still have a few issues.
The brakes definitly work better, and the gosh awful noise is gone, but the pedal still has alot of travel and is still mushy, and now I have a slight whine from the steering.
Hopefully we can get it to work like the unit on the camaro (works awesome) before it's all over and done.

terryr
06-28-2006, 08:34 PM
I was under the impression that more was better. 1000psi was normal and could go as high as 1500.
When I first installed mine the pump had a whine. When I increased teh pressure and flow it went away.
I also lengthened the rod a bit to firm up the pedal.

Dan Sherwood
06-29-2006, 06:10 PM
The modulation and the terrible whine that went with it are gone, now there is a slight noise from the steering pump when turning, and way too much pedal travel before the brakes engage (it has always had this problem).
After looking at the unit due to Pauls email today it appears the unit needs to be clocked 180 degrees different that it currently is. I will give that a try.

Dan Sherwood
07-15-2006, 06:59 AM
Wanted to give a final update on this project with my 01 truck.

I want to give Paul @ HYdratech a big thx for staying in touch with I and the shop in an effort to get this issue solved.

After 2 different delphi pumps, Paul sent me a pump at his expense that seems to have solved most all of the issues. The mushy pedal, although better, is still there, but I believe it's as good as it gets?

The trucks brakes are as good as they ever have been at this point, and so I'll close this chapter on the truck.

The hydraboost on the 69 camaro has worked flawlessly up to this point, and even changing back to the dynalite kit from the 6 piston superlite kit I can hardly tell the difference.

The 67 camaro will have the 6 piston superlite kit installed on it this week, and the hydraboost, and hopefully we will have the same kind of result we had on the 69 camaro.

Rick Dorion
07-15-2006, 01:21 PM
On my 97 the mushy pedal is part of the package unfortunately. I thought about a hydroboost but now am looking at a new truck next year. I've heard the brakes are much improved. Did you keep the stock master cylinder? Glad you made progress!

Madspeed
07-15-2006, 01:32 PM
On my 97 the mushy pedal is part of the package unfortunately. I thought about a hydroboost but now am looking at a new truck next year. I've heard the brakes are much improved. Did you keep the stock master cylinder? Glad you made progress!

I can ashure you with 100% accuracy that the new chevy trucks brakes are UBER they are 13" rotors hehe I forgot if they were 4 piston or 2 piston calipers.
I personaly own a 2005 1500 4 door 2X4 5.3 ltr
I have towed a 31 foot enclosed trailer WITHOUT trailer brakes
from California to Oregon and back, then Same to New MExico and back again same to colorado and back WITHOUT ANY brake fade pulling a 3 axle trailer with a blown alchohol Dragster in it
Why you ask? Because my friend owns a POS 97 chev 2500 4x4 that couldnt pull a sick whore of a pisspot
you really want to laugh? we did 65 to 80 all the way there and back

Rick Dorion
07-16-2006, 01:49 AM
Not to hijack but I'm curious on your towing ability. I tow a two-horse trailer and the 350 is inadequate. This is with 3.73 rear gears. I wasn't considering a 5.3.

CarlC
07-16-2006, 09:13 AM
Mark,

On your hijack....

I have a 2005 with a 5.3 and 3.73's. I've trailered the Camaro several times over the Grapevine (lots of steep hill climbs.) Though not a rocketship, for me it had plenty of power to do the job and reasonably maintain traffic flow speeds. I did not have a lot of faith at first due tothe engine size, but was pleasantly surprised.

Rick Dorion
07-17-2006, 05:34 AM
Mark?

Good to hear, Carl. Thanks. Do you have an automatic? I'll appreciate the better gas mileage and good brakes!

CarlC
07-17-2006, 06:24 PM
Brain cramps!

It's an auto. I have not kept track of the mileage since new but then it avearaged 18mpg. It's a 4-door 1500.

Dan Sherwood
07-17-2006, 09:35 PM
I actually upgraded my 01 master to a 05 master.

I'm hearing from various folks that many of the 05-06 trucks with the improved front discs, but rear drums are having problems with warping, and too little metal in the drums.

I am probably going to be replacing my 04 2500 dmax (already sold) with a 06 1500 max pkg, and I always run a brake controller for my trailer. I'm thinking I may try a gear vendors setup with the 6.0 and a tune/exhaust/cia to help with towing and mpg.

Rick Dorion
07-18-2006, 04:43 AM
Good input. I too use a brake controller. My biggest gripes with my 97 5.7 K1500 is mushy brakes and sluggish towing ability. It's a 3-door short bed.

6'9"Witha69
07-18-2006, 07:37 AM
Good input. I too use a brake controller. My biggest gripes with my 97 5.7 K1500 is mushy brakes and sluggish towing ability. It's a 3-door short bed.Time to modify the tow rig:revto9k:

The new Vortec engines are killer. Never discount them. Especailly since they are LSx based.