PDA

View Full Version : Caliper alternatives for B-car spindle swap on my 71 Z28?

Ozman71
06-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Title basically says it all. I am about to install the new tie-rod ends and spindles from a Caprice wagon. Will be capped off by a set of 1LE rotors.

My main question is: What is the best low buck (read: junkyard) caliper option that may will work with this swap. Prefer a bolt on application at this stage as I have lots of other things to fab for this car and just want to get it on the road so I can enjoy it this summer.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Steve

ScotI
06-10-2006, 01:50 PM
From what I've been reading lately, the 72~87 1/2 ton truck caliper seems to be the hot ticket w/the 'budget' 1LE brake swaps.

sinned
06-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Why are you doing a "B" spindle swap on a second gen Camaro...the spindle is geometrically exactly the same. The only possible advantage is the larger rotor which will only marginally impact your braking performance.

Ozman71
06-10-2006, 05:54 PM
Why are you doing a "B" spindle swap on a second gen Camaro...the spindle is geometrically exactly the same. The only possible advantage is the larger rotor which will only marginally impact your braking performance.

I'll plead ignorance. That is the first time I have ever heard that the second gen spindles are the same dimensionally as the B cars in question. Thanks for the info. As usual, ya just never know what you don't know!

That said, any additional advatage in pad/rotor performance is something I'll take given that the car is a former hillclimb machine turned full time autocross car. I am now converting it back to street use for hopefull entry in next year's Cannonball/One Lap of America, which I did last year in another car.

Scott, thanks for the suggestion on the calipers. I will check that out on Monday. Much appreciated.

Steve

Chevy350
06-11-2006, 04:09 PM
The truck calipers are just a little wider, to be able to grab over the 1.25" truck discs, and won't help at all with the 1LE rotors (Or stock rotors for that matter, both are 1" thick). I believe the pistons in the truck calipers are the same size as the stock 2.gens, but I can't confirm this. I do know that the 2.gen calipers, and the 11" and 12" calipers are all the same size.

BonzoHansen
06-12-2006, 08:45 AM
Here is some homework I did on this swap. I have not 100% verified, but the part numbers jive with what others have reported doing in the past. It seems people often use larger 'height' D61 pads in this swap. I have the length & width measurements (from raybestos) but not height, so I cannot confirm that other than hearsay. Oddly, it appears the Camaro pads are wider by a hair.
The 1-ton van/pickup calipers are physically wider than stock Camaro calipers. Some people have had trouble fitting the D61 pads into stock Camaro calipers. The van/pickup calipers were used in applications that used a wider rotor and a D52 (same as stock Camaro) pad. This physically wider caliper eliminates any fitment issues with D61 pads, and costs no more than Camaro stockers. Bolts up the same, but does require a slightly longer caliper bolt, which usually comes with the rebuilt calipers. It also appears the banjo bolt hole is larger on the truck calipers, which may necessitate a new hose (or hose end) & banjo bolt.

PADS:
D614A (D61) - 94 Caprice Classic 5.7L
http://www.rockauto.com/ref/Raybestos/DetailLocal.html?D614A.jpg&D614AD.jpg
L: 7.19"
W: .236"

D52 - 77 Camaro
http://www.rockauto.com/ref/Raybestos/DetailLocal.html?D52.jpg&D52D.jpg
L: 7.22"
W: .194"

CALIPERS:
76 G30 Van 7.4L
A1 Cardone #184035/184036
W/JB7, JD7 w/2 15/16” Piston
http://www.rockauto.com/ref/Cardone/Detail.html?184035.jpg

A1 Cardone #184006/184007
77 Camaro
http://www.rockauto.com/ref/Cardone/Detail.html?184006.jpg

I am about to install the new tie-rod ends and spindles from a Caprice wagon. Why Caprice specific tie rod ends? Camaro ones s/b correct from everything I have read.