PDA

View Full Version : Yet another reason I don't bank at Bank of America..

Steve1968LS2
06-09-2006, 11:56 AM
Bank of America has been steadily moving thousands of tech jobs to India. The latest to go are about 100 positions that handle BofA's internal tech support.

While many of the bank's Bay Area techies accept the inevitability of their jobs heading abroad, what rankles them is the fact that, in many cases, they're being told they have to first train the Indians who are getting their gigs.

"If people want their severance packages, they have to train their replacements," a senior engineer at one of BofA's Bay Area facilities told me. "There's nothing in writing that says this -- the bank's been careful about that. But it's made clear at meetings what we're supposed to do."

Shirley Norton, a BofA spokeswoman, confirmed that while workers aren't being explicitly told they have to train their replacements or risk losing severance pay, they are being instructed that severance pay is contingent on satisfactorily completing their jobs.

Completing their jobs, in turn, can include training replacements from India, she said.

"I know that's parsing things a bit," Norton acknowledged. "What we ask associates to do as part of getting severance is that they stay on the job until the job is transitioned.

"It's a common practice when your job is being transferred from one person to another that you train the new person," she added. "We expect our people to stay until their jobs are consolidated."

Making workers train someone from India to take their jobs away isn't unique to BofA. Other U.S. companies reportedly have done the same in recent years.

But BofA stands out because it acknowledged earlier this year that it understands how much the practice offends its U.S. employees.

Barbara Desoer, BofA's chief technology exec, told BusinessWeek magazine in January that she was aware how much grumbling it caused when workers at the bank's Concord technology center were told they'd have to bring their Indian replacements up to speed before being shown the door.

"It caused us to make a greater commitment to our associates," she said. "It caused us to make a larger commitment to explaining the context of changes happening in the marketplace in advance of (changes) happening."

But it apparently didn't cause BofA to stop doing it.

"We've seen a bunch of Indians come through (the Bay Area)," the senior engineer said. He asked that his name be withheld because he's seeking another position within the bank.

"They're very open about it," he said. "They're here to learn our jobs and then leave. Some go back to India, and some settle in Charlotte, where the headquarters is."

Gotta love

71nova
06-09-2006, 12:01 PM
What a bunch of crap

Beeper
06-09-2006, 12:35 PM
I stopped using BofA after they sent me a bill for a penny.:eek:

Steve1968LS2
06-09-2006, 12:35 PM
What a bunch of crap

Unfortunatly it's the way of the world.. I just try not to do business with companies that have overseas call center.. mostly because they are next to useless.

Sort of an "insult to injury" having to train your replacement..

Mr.VENGEANCE
06-09-2006, 12:55 PM
awww f*ck!..

rocketrod
06-09-2006, 07:02 PM
[/b]
Making workers train someone from India to take their jobs away isn't unique to BofA. Other U.S. companies reportedly have done the same in recent years. I work at a fortune 100 company and unfortunately this is becoming pretty common. No the funny thing is, at least where I am at, while they are outsourcing the work, they are not laying off the people. They typically find jobs within the company for some and the remainder become project managers that manage the work, projects, that was outsourced.

Personally what I have seen in the IT field is the outsourced workers are typically pretty sharp, BUT they have no vested interest in the company as they typically are working on projects for several at any given time. What I am starting to see is the company is starting to get concerned that we are losing all of are technical expertise, DUH!!!! Hopefully they will realize instead of saving money, on paper anyway, that they really just put a noose around their neck and it is starting to tighten.

trapin
06-09-2006, 07:49 PM
A friend of mine predicts that this is all going to come back and bite these companies on the ass. She sent me a bunch of news articles lately about a company that sent it's work over to India because the labor was cheap and now all these Indians are demanding fair pay and threatening to organize. Basically...they want more money. I guess it's happening in a number of different fields. It won't be long before outsourcing work over there ceases to be the savings bonanza that was first thought. GM has been guilty of it. They sent a bunch of interior surface work over there about 5 years ago. Long story short...it's all coming back. The Indians that they hired for cheap can't do the work. And the ones who can want "my" salary to do it. We just hired 10 additional surface designers last year to cover for all the Interior work we're getting this Summer.

The Technical Support stuff might make it over there...but not the manufacturing stuff. They might get 3 or 4 years of savings out of that country...but those Indians aren't stupid. They'll eventually wake up, and when they do....the party's over.

By the way....I bank at LaSalle. The IT's are all southern girls who sound sweet as apple pie.

......for now anyway.

paul67
06-14-2006, 11:37 PM
In the UK some of the companys are bringing the call centres back, A people will not talk to them and change companys and B they get that much abuse that they have to bring doctors in to help the workers that it cost more than if they used people in the UK.

Yenkostyle
06-15-2006, 02:53 AM
And to think: EVERY US Military person has to have a BOA Travel card! It has to be used for all travel expenses and such. :rolleyes:

Bilster
06-15-2006, 09:49 AM
It is unfortunate that American jobs quietly go elsewhere. Citibank tech jobs are based in Saudi Arabia. And I have tried getting customer support for SBC Yahoo internet service, an AT&T subsidary and you can barely understand the Asian speaking support tech. It's a real problem...but the bottom line is profitability to these major companies.