PDA

View Full Version : Flares and tire size?

MoeBawlz
10-23-2004, 07:06 PM
I remember seeing a Silver Camaro with a big wing (like the Charger Daytona) that had Flares on it. I kinda liked the flare look and checked into it a bit... I cant find much info on it.

Does anyone know how big of a tire someone could fit with stock wheel wells and a flare like on that Camaro? What about with the flare and a mini tub?

Where might i be able to find some of these flares?

kmracer
10-23-2004, 07:21 PM
go to www.popularhotrodding.com
they did a feature on it.
or hotrod.com so did they
from what i heard it was a custom fabricated type deal so you would have to find your own fabricator to do it.

MoeBawlz
10-23-2004, 11:17 PM
Well I saw a few vintage Camaro race car pictures with them on it too, so i may be able to find somethin like it...

69Rathead
10-24-2004, 01:18 AM
The current issue of Camaro Performers has an article titled "The real deal" with the Camaro you are talking about. It looks pretty cool but I would think twice about "Flaring" your Camaro as I'm sure it would devalue it. I personally would never "Flare" a classic musclecar especially a Z28 as that guy did! However I'm sure with the wide meats it ha it performs really well. It is a cool car!

MoeBawlz
10-24-2004, 07:27 AM
How much do 335, 345, and 355 tires cost? I just looked up a Goodyear F1 that ws 335 and saw a $900 price tag. I was wondering if any of you know of a better place to find tires for a good price.

If the tires that are 335 and up cost more than $900 then I cant afford to have both mini tubs and flares because I know I will be lighting the tires up and givin a smoke show every now and again... I cant afford to be literally burning cash like that.

So now unless i can find cheap big tires, i need to decide, flares or minitubs. What do you guys think?

F70t/a
10-24-2004, 08:33 AM
I think a mini tub makes the car look more like a high dollar car then having flares. IMO :jump:

baz67
10-24-2004, 08:51 AM
A 335 tire fits with just a minitub. I would vote minitub. You do not need to flare it a well. IMHO flares take away for the looks of a first gen. If you plan on flaring the front to get wider tires in front you could cause some issues with handling. That car had a custom subframe to help accomidate the wider front tires. On a stock sub you would need to use a wider rim(obviously) and the same backspacing. The issue with that is the center of the contact patch on the tire would be further away from the king pin inclination angle thus increasing the scrub radius. That is not a good thing for handling.
Brian

Lowend
10-24-2004, 02:20 PM
That would be Bob Owen's car you are refering to. I've seen it in person and it is quite a machine.
The tires are 16x12 and 16x14 Goodyear roadracing slicks.
His flares are fiberglass and custom made. If you ask me they are not the prettiest way to go.
When we did the flares on our '68 Camaro race car we started off with a Fiberglass front clip and than modified it heavly.

spanky the wondermuffin
10-24-2004, 04:45 PM
moving the rear leaf mount inwards to do a minitub must also have an effect on handling.

MoeBawlz
10-24-2004, 08:38 PM
Well i have a Wayne Due subframe already. So that should help accomodate for the wider tires. I personally think the flares look tough. I dont know what the end will be just yet... got to find some more info on it and figure out possible handling issues that might come with it...