PDA

View Full Version : LT1 Fuel Pressure Issues - Please help!

Boulder69
06-08-2006, 06:43 AM
1996 LT1 in 1969 Camaro.

So the car sat all winter as I sloooowly replaced the water pump drive assembly, timing cover, opti, and water pump. I got everything back together and have spark at the coil and plugs. But I now have ZERO fuel pressure at the rails. (I disconnected the lines from the rails when I raised the motor to change the oil pan gasket)

So, I checked the 10 micron fuel filter between the pump and rails, and it was so clogged I couldn't blow through it. Quick call to Kinsler got me a new filter element, but still no pressure.

I drained all of the old gas out, and put 4 gallons of fresh gas in. Is there some priming thing I need to do because the electric fuel pump is external? It sits between the rear seat and tank, so the fuel level isn't above the pump unless I fill the tank.

I guess I should also remove the 45 micron filter before the pump and see if that one is clogged as well? If that doesn't do the trick could it be the fuel pump? I didn't put gas treatment in (doh!) before the car sat for 6 months.......

I'm super frustrated right now, it seems like she is never going to start again. :nopity: I should have just pulled the whole thing and put in a LS motor, but have way too much $ and time into it to turn back now. Thanks in advance for any advice. -eric

69lt4
06-08-2006, 07:44 AM
I assume the pump is turning on?
Also, depending on your line from the tank to the pump, make sure it isn't compressing.
Kevin

Boulder69
06-08-2006, 08:30 AM
Sorry. Yes, pump is running. Earl's lines and all looks good. -e

camcojb
06-08-2006, 11:36 AM
what regulator are you running and where is it mounted?

Jody

Boulder69
06-08-2006, 01:18 PM
Stock FPR on the rails. After I clean the pre-pump filter and get nothing that would be the next logical culprit, correct? Any troubleshooting methods or should I just replace it?

No other priming necessary other than the 2 seconds or so the pump runs after turning the key, correct?

Thanks! -e

69lt4
06-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Make sure you don't have the lines backwards going to the fuel rail. After you get the filters cleaned, see if you are getting fuel to the rails.
Is the pump you have a suction pump or a push type pump?

Kevin

Siroadrnr
06-08-2006, 05:23 PM
Change that other filter, what could be clogging them up like that?? drain the tank and add fresh gas. good luck!! and let us know what fixes it when you do, please!

Boulder69
06-08-2006, 09:43 PM
Other filter was almost completely clogged as well. Started up in 3 seconds after getting everything back together. Probably both filters were super dirty before I left old gas in there to fully gunk stuff up.

Now I have to rip apart the accessory drive to find the missing socket from the water pump install that fell into the mystery hole and is now making tons of racket against the back of a pulley somewhere. Other than that it runs great.

Thanks again to all. -e