PDA

View Full Version : AC for a '68 Camaro

Chris442
06-06-2006, 01:51 PM
On the surface I know that this is a pretty simple subject, but then I want everything in my car to be just right. So, here's what I am looking for: First, I have a nonair car which is good, since I want a smooth firewall. Secondly, I want the dash to look bone stock--stock vents(easy) and stock AC controls(harder). Thirdly, I am very concerned about evaporator capacity as I'm in Phoenix and it was a 112* last weekend.

Now, I've done the stock controls bit before on my 442, not quite the same as a Camaro, but similar. I have a VA cable/vacuum Supercooler on the 442 and it seems to do pretty well. The biggest problem is sealing the car since it's a convertible, but that's not the evap's fault.

I've looked at the VA surefit stuff, and it looks like it might be possible to use the unit for a factory AC car and still have a smooth firewall. My concern with it is capacity; does anyone have any idea how well it does?

Another option is a Compac or a Supercooler, however for the way I want the controls to work, it looks like it would be easiest to have a cable operated unit. The Compac doesn't come cabled anymore, and the Supercooler might be too big to fit under the dash. I wouldn't mind a gen II, but it seems like it might be harder to integrate with the stock controls.

Also, I am not limited to using only VA stuff, but I've had good luck with it on the 442. It's also what I'm most familiar with. Anybody have any thoughts on what might work best for me?

Dan Sherwood
06-06-2006, 07:44 PM
I've heard rumors that VA is coming out with a killer unit for the first gen camaro with Phx folks in mind.

Page the killer chicken guy for details???????

zuess4u
06-07-2006, 06:14 AM
On the surface I know that this is a pretty simple subject, but then I want everything in my car to be just right. So, here's what I am looking for: First, I have a nonair car which is good, since I want a smooth firewall. Secondly, I want the dash to look bone stock--stock vents(easy) and stock AC controls(harder). Thirdly, I am very concerned about evaporator capacity as I'm in Phoenix and it was a 112* last weekend.

Now, I've done the stock controls bit before on my 442, not quite the same as a Camaro, but similar. I have a VA cable/vacuum Supercooler on the 442 and it seems to do pretty well. The biggest problem is sealing the car since it's a convertible, but that's not the evap's fault.

I've looked at the VA surefit stuff, and it looks like it might be possible to use the unit for a factory AC car and still have a smooth firewall. My concern with it is capacity; does anyone have any idea how well it does?

Another option is a Compac or a Supercooler, however for the way I want the controls to work, it looks like it would be easiest to have a cable operated unit. The Compac doesn't come cabled anymore, and the Supercooler might be too big to fit under the dash. I wouldn't mind a gen II, but it seems like it might be harder to integrate with the stock controls.

Also, I am not limited to using only VA stuff, but I've had good luck with it on the 442. It's also what I'm most familiar with. Anybody have any thoughts on what might work best for me?

Chris, I would REALLY look into Classic Auto Air....we will be getting one of their units in the mail soon. Same situation your in, smoothed firewall, and we live in Phoenix as well.

This is the Paradise valley high school project...well one of them. 67 and 69 Camaros.

I can give you a call when it gets here if you want.

Chris442
06-07-2006, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. If VA is coming out with a new unit, that'd be cool. However, I'm going to need a unit soon, so I can't wait too long. Nonetheless, I should talk to the killing chickens guy.

Zuess, I'd love to see your set up when it comes. I'm on the north side of town, so I'm probably not rediculously far away. Anyway, send me a message when it comes.