PDA

View Full Version : Door Latch Assembly Lock Mech Spring Problem!!

toofun
06-06-2006, 01:48 PM
I have a problem with my door lock. If I push down on it it locks the door but then when I go to push the door button on the outside or pull the door latch on the inside it does nothing to open the door. Like it is pushing against air. When I try to pull the door knob up it goes up and down but will not unlock the drivers side door. I got the inside door panel off without ripping it from the inside and was able to jimmy the door open. Upon inspection I found that the door lock latch was not returning back to its position.

I looked on the bottom of the door and found that the DOOR LOCK MECH SPRING was broken in two. So I bought a new one from Ricks. Now my question is where does it go and how do I install it? Does anyone have a close up picture anywhere? I cannot find one? Also am I better off removing the WHOLE DOOR LATCH ASSEMBLY? and if so how do I go about doing it? Little parts can be such a BIG PAIN!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks In advance.

Mark
TOOFUN

rockdogz
06-06-2006, 02:34 PM
I've got this pic I took recently. I wasn't concerned with the lock mechanism of the latch, so I didn't really focus on that. It's at the top of the picture, and I can just see the spring. I would say remove it and see if you can put the new spring in. I would remove the door panel and unbolt the door handle mechanism from the door that connects to the latch with a rod. This will make it easier to remove from the door. Then you'll need to remove the three screws from the door jamb that will allow the latch to be removed.

kamaroman68
06-06-2006, 03:51 PM
Yes sir you have to remove it from the door. i do not have a picture but its fairly easy to replace. Only suggestion i can make at this point is take the passenger side out and look at it. Chris

toofun
06-09-2006, 04:54 AM
Thanks for your comments. I got it out and then completely cleaned it. Put the new spring in and it was very easy. I have a picture of the complete assembly with it all the parts marked including the spring. I got it out of my fisher body service manual. I have attached it in my photos folder in yahoo. If someone could pull the picture and attach it here that would be helpful to others that may run into the same problem. Seems to be pretty common from what I have encountered. Here is the link and thanks again.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/draggingmedowntoo/detail?.dir=/3d68re2&.dnm=4365re2.jpg&.src=ph

Mark
TOOFUN