PDA

View Full Version : Tie rod length dilemma!

McGuire
06-06-2006, 01:05 PM
I just rebuilt the front end of my 69 Camaro coupe. Everything is new except the drag link and steering arms. I upgraded from manual drum brakes to PDB and from manual steering to power steering. I also upgraded to solid sub frame bushings and replaced all the control arm related things, bushings, coil springs and ball joints etc. When I installed the drivers side tie rods, they went in just like the olds ones came out, 15.5" center to center. When I installed the passenger side, I had to screw the tie rod ends almost all the way into the adj. sleeve to get the toe in to what appears to be real close. The old ones came out at 15.5" and the new ones went in at 14.75". This is with all stock replacements parts. The frame seemed square when I installed the sub frame bushings and the drag link and steering arms don't appear to be bent. I'm worried there will not be enough adjustment on the passenger side, if needed, at the alignment shop. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Rick

MrQuick
06-06-2006, 09:04 PM
Your off somewhere. Is your piman arm and idler arm straight forward? If you are going to get it aligned they should be able to center it for you. Just get it close.

McGuire
06-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Your off somewhere. Is your piman arm and idler arm straight forward?
Yes sir and thanks for the reply. I just thought that both sides should be equal. If you don't see anything wrong with my set-up, then I'm off to the alignment shop. Thanks again.

Rick

David Pozzi
06-07-2006, 04:44 PM
are you measuring from grease fitting to grease fitting?
Make sure the tie rods are identical side to side.

McGuire
06-07-2006, 09:06 PM
David,

Yes, I measured from grease fitting to grease fitting. The new parts were identical to the old parts. I can provide as many pics as needed if it helps solve the problem.

Thanks
Rick