PDA

View Full Version : 406 Single Turbo

19Nova68
06-06-2006, 11:15 AM
Hi everyone, I'm Andrew. I've been reading this forum for some time now, and have learned alot. I have a few questions regarding a turbo build up. I was intially going to build a N/A 406 but after riding in my buddy's single to4r 355 v8 '86 rx7, I fell in love with turbo V8 cars!

I know basically how everything goes together, and I can fabricate most of the part myself, but my question is, how do you know what size turbo to use? What size exhaust turbin and what size compressor. Would aluminum heads allow me to run more boost without detonation? Head flow numbers dont matter with turbo cars, but does valve size?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
andrew

slow4dr
06-06-2006, 11:57 AM
Hi everyone, I'm Andrew. I've been reading this forum for some time now, and have learned alot. I have a few questions regarding a turbo build up. I was intially going to build a N/A 406 but after riding in my buddy's single to4r 355 v8 '86 rx7, I fell in love with turbo V8 cars!

I know basically how everything goes together, and I can fabricate most of the part myself, but my question is, how do you know what size turbo to use? What size exhaust turbin and what size compressor. Would aluminum heads allow me to run more boost without detonation? Head flow numbers dont matter with turbo cars, but does valve size?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
andrew

Welcome Andrew!

A compressor wheel should be sized based on the cubic inch of the motor, boost pressure, and desired HP. Each compressor wheel has a map showing airflow based on shaft speed so you can make an educated decision on what will be right for your needs. The same can be said for the hot side as well. You want to match your specific driving style, and driveline & how quickly you want it to make boost. Keep in mind if you have a turbo that makes boost really quick it will usually not have that huge top end power and usually higher EGT's.

Aluminum heads are typically better for forced induction applications because they are more detonation resistant than iron. Head flow & valve sizes matter but it isn't quite as important as a BIG HP N/A application. Boost pressure can overcome restrictions in the intake tract with more boost to a certain extent. However, making more power with less boost is easier to tune and much safer for the engine.

Having said all that what power are you looking to make? What rpm are you going to spin it to? Are you going big single or twins?

-J

19Nova68
06-07-2006, 07:33 AM
I dont think 700 hp is out of the question on pump gas, I dont want to spin it past 6500, Probably just a single, because it will be quite a bit cheaper.

Are there some good websites that can help me decide on the right size?

I'm looking to buy just a cast iron manifold kit with T4 flange with crossover pipe and down pipe, does anyone know where I can find one, besides ebay?

thanks
Andrew

TurboLark
06-10-2006, 06:35 AM
you need to go look at http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/index.php
There is a forum dedicated to Chevy turbo stuff. As for picking the turbo, maybe call a few of the turbo manufacturers. They know best. Try Precision Engine & Machine, or Innovative Turbo. They have always answers my questions thoroughly.

flynbyu82
06-11-2006, 06:37 PM
You would probly be happy wih an 88mm turbo. I think anywhere from 76 to 88 would get the job done but you'd have room to grow in the 88mm and 76 would be right at the top of your limits, efficiency wise.