PDA

View Full Version : stock subframe or aftermarket?

muthstryker
06-04-2006, 10:28 PM
i was thinking about maybe getting the dse suspension kit 3 and just keep my stock subframe. or would it be a better idea to just buy a new subframe with c5 suspension? wayne due maybe?

trapin
06-05-2006, 02:07 AM
It really depends on how much "bling" you want your car to have. Having a Wayne Due or Chris Alston subframe with C5 hardware is not necessarily going to be better than a stock subframe with Guldstrand Mod and aftermarket equipment on it. It will look cooler...there's no debate there. The one advantage they do give you is the ability to run a wider tire up front then on a stock subframe, but other than that, performancewise it will probably be about the same. I don't think anyone has proven otherwise.

I have finally nailed down the direction I'm going with my front suspension and I expect it to perform beautifully. I should have it done this month.

1.) Stock frame (no Guldstrand Mod)
2.) Stock control arms with Del-a-lum bushings.
3.) ATS/AFX tall spindles
4.) Touring Classics front brake kit for AFX spindles
5.) Hotchkis springs (2" drop)
6.) Helwig 1" sway bar
7.) Koni adjustable shocks

67 Rally Sport
06-05-2006, 11:59 AM
Hijack in progress...

Tony,
I am thinking about taking a similar approach to what you have laid out and I am curious, what wheels are you thinking of using up front? It seems like the AFX spindles with Touring Classic C-5 Brakes limits your selections. Also, with the tall spindles and the 2 inch drop springs, are you worried about getting too low up front? Finally, what are you doing out back?

To the original question posed by muthstryker, I guess it really depends on what you want to do with the car. The aftermarket subframe would definitely look sweet and you could fit some bigger meats up front, but performance wise, I am not sure it is the best bang for the buck. An aftermarket subframe may also offer some advantages in terms of dropping in an LSX engine. My thoughts are if you are looking for all out show or all out performance, the subframe makes sense. With anything in between those two extremes I think you can do a lot with the stock subframe, given all the different suspension options available.

Just my 2 cents...

Greg

MoeBawlz
06-05-2006, 02:17 PM
at the time i was looking into front suspensions the AFX spindle wasnt availible and there wasnt much proven stuff out there. I heard rave reviews about the Wayne Due setup and then I did my homework on all the different setups. I ended up with a Wayne Due C4 frame as the C5 was not out yet. Id like to see some better compairisons on the AFX spindle but they havnt been done yet.

TitoJones
06-05-2006, 03:37 PM
What would you like us to compare them to?
How's this-
Our AFX spindles, on a dead bone stock frame, will have better camber gain than a DSE stage 3, Guldstrand mod, or Global West CAT 5. You can spend close to $3k on a DSE stage 3 kit, only to have to pull the engine, re-weld the frame, and then still not have as much camber gain as a set of $625 bolt on spindles.

Tyler

Y-TRY
06-06-2006, 03:21 PM
I had the opportunity to hold onto a set of ATS's spindles last week. They are a work of art, man. Very cool. They are on my endless list of 'cool stuff I want for my car'.

For my uses, I just want a clean stock subframe with QA1's, AFX spindles, a manual rack and tubular control arms.

trapin
06-06-2006, 05:39 PM
Tony,
I am thinking about taking a similar approach to what you have laid out and I am curious, what wheels are you thinking of using up front? It seems like the AFX spindles with Touring Classic C-5 Brakes limits your selections. Also, with the tall spindles and the 2 inch drop springs, are you worried about getting too low up front? Finally, what are you doing out back?
Greg,
For now they are Billet Specialties HP-25 17x8 with 4.75" backspacing, 245/40/R17 but I will be switching to Wheel Vintiques Billet Rally Wheels in the same size with the same rubber. My HP-25's will be for sale this Fall. The rears are 17x9.5 with 5.5" of backspacing, 275/40/R17. As far as my concerns for ride height in the front...I have seen what a car looks like with the full weight of the engine on the Hotchkis springs and I don't think the extra lowering in the front (7/8ths of an inch if I understand correct) is going to be much of a problem. If it rubs...oh well. Mark Stielow once told me, "It ain't a Hot Rod if the tires don't rub". As far as out back...for now I have the DS&E 3" drop springs, DS&E mono to multi-leaf conversion kit, and Bilstein shocks. I might adjust the ride height out back later on with some billet blocks if I think it needs it.

justforfun
06-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Not sure what aftermarket subframes weigh but word is they are a little lighter. My stock bare 67 subframe weighed 104lb. Most seem to say the weight difference is not worth the $.

baz67
06-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Not sure what aftermarket subframes weigh but word is they are a little lighter. My stock bare 67 subframe weighed 104lb. Most seem to say the weight difference is not worth the $.

I agree. One note is nobody, independant, has measured the stiffness of the aftermarket frames. It would be interesting to see how stiff they are when compared to stock.

Ricoch3T
06-11-2006, 08:52 PM
Greg,
For now they are Billet Specialties HP-25 17x8 with 4.75" backspacing, 245/40/R17 but I will be switching to Wheel Vintiques Billet Rally Wheels in the same size with the same rubber. My HP-25's will be for sale this Fall. The rears are 17x9.5 with 5.5" of backspacing, 275/40/R17. As far as my concerns for ride height in the front...I have seen what a car looks like with the full weight of the engine on the Hotchkis springs and I don't think the extra lowering in the front (7/8ths of an inch if I understand correct) is going to be much of a problem. If it rubs...oh well. Mark Stielow once told me, "It ain't a Hot Rod if the tires don't rub". As far as out back...for now I have the DS&E 3" drop springs, DS&E mono to multi-leaf conversion kit, and Bilstein shocks. I might adjust the ride height out back later on with some billet blocks if I think it needs it.

*edit, i did a search and found my answer... DOH.. I usually do it first, I guess its a little late.. SOrry!