PDA

View Full Version : 4L60E Basics for my 67 Camaro

TheRoaringEagle
10-21-2004, 06:42 PM
I've got a 400 SBC with a TH350 behind it. If I had a rebuilt 4L60E that came with the Torque Converter and Flexplate, what other parts will I need to install the tranny into my Camaro? Should it just bolt right in? Will I need a computer and wiring harness? Does it matter if my engine is Carbed? Thanks

Zefhix
10-21-2004, 10:40 PM
I've got a 400 SBC with a TH350 behind it. If I had a rebuilt 4L60E that came with the Torque Converter and Flexplate, what other parts will I need to install the tranny into my Camaro? Should it just bolt right in? Will I need a computer and wiring harness? Does it matter if my engine is Carbed? Thanks

If the 4L60E is from an LT1 car (97 earlier camaro/firebird; 96 earlier corvette) than it should bolt right up to your block. The 4L60E cannot function without a computer controller for it. TCI makes one called the T-Com. Being carbed or FI doesn't really make a difference when using the T-Com setup which, I believe, retails for about $500. Hope that helps a bit! :cool:
Oh and you might need a few massaging changes for the crossmember as well as getting your driveshaft shortened but I don't know the specifics for your car to be honest.

Fuelie Fan
10-22-2004, 07:50 AM
Externally, the 93-97s should be identical to 700-r4's, so any article about swapping a 700 will tell you what to do for driveshaft and crossmembers.

Assuming you have a stock mechanical speedo, you may need to purchase a device that will drive it using the VSS's 40 pulse output. I'm not sure if TCI's kit comes with that, so be sure to inquire.

I'm still not 100% on what it takes to bolt up a 98+ 4l60e to a sbc, I think it's possible since trucks still ran small blocks through 99. If anybody has solid info on this I'd love to hear it

Zefhix
10-22-2004, 09:11 AM
You would need an adapter plate since the '98 up generally were used in the LS1 cars and they have a completely different bellhousing. With that much trouble you might as well bolt up a 4L65E out of the new vette or goat. :cool:

Externally, the 93-97s should be identical to 700-r4's, so any article about swapping a 700 will tell you what to do for driveshaft and crossmembers.

Assuming you have a stock mechanical speedo, you may need to purchase a device that will drive it using the VSS's 40 pulse output. I'm not sure if TCI's kit comes with that, so be sure to inquire.

I'm still not 100% on what it takes to bolt up a 98+ 4l60e to a sbc, I think it's possible since trucks still ran small blocks through 99. If anybody has solid info on this I'd love to hear it