PDA

View Full Version : Source for Lincoln MK VIII fan

sanddan
10-21-2004, 10:40 AM
Can anyone direct me to a internet source for the Lincoln fan? After reading the posts this is the one I want to use but the local auto parts store can't seem to find a listing for the MK VIII. Thanks

CAMAROBOY69
10-21-2004, 11:06 AM
http://www.rockauto.com/

bbc427
12-07-2004, 08:48 PM
Its funny, I looked on "www.rockauto.com" for the fan under the 1998 model year and it has a clutch fan. From what year car did you guys buy yours for; i.e. 1995 or 2003? Thanks.
Eric

CarlC
12-07-2004, 10:03 PM
It's listed in the 1998 model year. It's not a clutch fan, it's a Radiator Fan Motor listed in the Cooling section.

gmachinz
12-08-2004, 06:32 AM
I looked up a 1997 model year on Rockauto.com because that is the year I bought one for off Ebay-just to see the current price. It has gone up a little but the dealers around here in Iowa want around $339 for the same one Rockauto has for almost half that price! Get it, it's worth every penny spent. I'm wiring two customers cars right now with the DC Controller and I have yet to finish wiring my own car (that's how it goes sometimes...) but afterwards I plan to do some amperage draw tests at various temps to gauge the actual amount of current the Mark VIII fan draws under normal conditions to get a baseline. -Jabin

68protouring454
12-08-2004, 08:09 AM
is it the same part number for 97 and 98? i will check
jake

Midwest Performance
12-08-2004, 10:27 AM
F8LZ8C607AA or RF64 put this in the click here for part # search at Rock Auto.
Currently going for 149.79

Kevin

68LSS1
12-08-2004, 04:37 PM
Jabin, I'd be up for one (I need to get with you and get the controller ordered too.)

gmachinz
12-09-2004, 04:37 PM
No problem [email protected]
Let me know what you need. I'm still working on the Rockauto thing...I'm looking to go vendor direct with Siemens (who is the main manufacturer of those fan motors.) -Jabin

bbc427
12-09-2004, 07:06 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33600&item=7940451766&rd=1
Have any of you delt with this person?
He seems to have some cheap prices on the fans and also supplies a relay/thermo kit for an additional charge. I'm inbetween jobs right now but I've been looking at this conversion for some time now. What is the opinion on cooling a '70 Nova, 4-row copper/brass rad, big block w/iron heads?
:fingersx: Thanks for all the info and this is a great site.
Eric

gmachinz
12-09-2004, 09:11 PM
Well, since most people are in tune with upgrading to a high output alternator, the big question is the amount of airflow any cooling fan moves. The Mark fan moves 4600-5000cfm @ roughly 33amps! Now, as cheap as the fans themselves are, I don't think you can find a better fan for the money. -Jabin

my72vette454
12-15-2004, 08:20 AM
My dad and I built a truck loader, (as they are called around here) this last summer and we used a mk viii fan on it and it works great! It has a 440 dodge with torqueflite trans and the fan doesnt run more that a minute at a time, you can actually see the temp guage drop.

my72vette454
12-15-2004, 08:27 AM
I thought that fan was big till we put it on the radiator, we had to add a bigger shroud on it to cover the radiator. This thing started out as a 1945 diamond t 6x6 military truck and we stripped it down to the chassis and used the dodge engine and automatic trans for the power train. We bought an old tractor and used the cab, hood and radiator surround. It weighs 9 tons and handles 2 one ton bales of hay with ease. I can load a semi load of hay in 10 minutes.

CAMAROBOY69
12-16-2004, 06:03 AM
Nice work with the shroud my72vette454 modification. :headbang:

gmachinz
12-17-2004, 08:45 AM
Well, Siemens does not offer replacement motor/shroud assemblies but they do offer new motors to replace the ones in the factory units. Part number is PM9032 if anyone is interested. They make the OEM ones so this can be considered a direct replacement part-although you may need to drill out the factory rivets which encase the motor itself. -Jabin

67 455 Bird ragtop
12-17-2004, 02:58 PM
Might want to take a look at a dual fan setup off of a 3rd gen F-body with an LT1. Got mine for $75.00.

gmachinz
12-21-2004, 02:58 PM
Some of you are aware that I am trying to find the Mark VIII fan assemblies as cheap as possible from the manufacturer, which is Siemens/VDO. I am in contact with the product manager for them who specializes in the manufacture of aftermarket parts. Siemens has contracts with the automobile manufacturers which prohibits them from selling the OE items to an outside vendor that they used on say, Lincolns, Fords, etc. as OEM equipment. Now, having said that I believe the Mark VIII fans from Rockauto cannot be the same ones that are sold over the counter in the dealerships. Thus the varying part numbers and way different prices. My fan assembly is an OEM piece-I don't think Rockauto's fans are.....not to say they're not as good but one has to wonder. It could very well be that Siemens sells a slightly different motor and incorporates it into the OEM shroud assembly-I don't know. I guess where I'm going with this is from a quality standpoint. I am expecting an email from Siemens any day now explaining how I can get on with them dealerwise just to get a break on these fan assemblies. I'll know more in a bit but for now I thought I'd share what I have found out so far. Interesting stuff. -Jabin

CarlC
12-21-2004, 03:43 PM
The MarkVIII fan that I purchased from Rockauto is a Ford part. It came in a Ford box with a Ford part number. It also has a Siemens motor.

Rockauto likely bought them directly from Ford.

It's not surprising that Siemens has a proprietary agreement with Ford. I would not want to screw up a relationship with the golden goose.

I question if the aftermarket would make a replacement part. I don't see many MarkVIII's on the road, so the demand is not there.

As far as the price goes, it's the same as gmpartsdirect.com They have GMPP parts for less than just about anyone, but they make their money on the shipping. GM or any other OEM cannot control what others sell their products for. That would be price fixing, and that's looked down upon by the US Government.

The dealer cost on replacement parts varies depending on who the buyer is. Joe Schmoe looking for a tail light lens for his 2004 truck will likely pay a LOT more for this item than re-seller or jobber. It's at the discretion of the dealer.

The cost of the part also can vary if it is still a mass-produced item. However, it's GM, Ford, Mopar, etc. that can take advantage of this. A replacement door for my '97 Gran Prix from GM was almost $800, and the car was still in production. There is no way GM can sell a $19,000 car with $3,200 doors on it. They make tons of money on replacement parts, especially from people who don't shop around and from dealer repairs (full price on repairs).

Take a look at the fan. It's just an electric motor and several injected plastic parts. From a production point of view there's maybe $40 in it. Heck, the silly electrical plug is $20, and it's just a piece of plastic with three wires. To me, even at $145 there's a lot of money being made.

67RSSS502
01-09-2005, 04:41 PM
I have been doing some research into the different Mark VIII part #s available and here is what I have found. Thought maybe I could save someone else the hassle and some of the questions I have had trying to figure this out.....

(Prices are current from Rockauto.com as of today)

Part # F3LY8C607A
* This is a replacement part for the 93-96 Mark VIII
* fan spins @ 1100 rpm on Low, 1850 rpm on high
* Price - $226.79

Part # F7LZ8C607AB
* This is a replacement part fot the 97 Mark VIII
* fans spins @ 1800 rpm on Low, 2225 rpm on high
* Price - $184.79

Part # F8LZ8C607AA
* This is a replacement part for the 98 Mark VIII
* fans spins @ 1800 rpm on Low, 2225 rpm on high
* Price - $149.79

Fan RPMs info is from Ford Motorsport Tech Line. They claim that all models deliver same volume of air movement, just the pitch of the blades if different year to year hence the difference in rpms the motor runs @ on Low and High. The only way to tell the units apart by eye is by reading the part #.

will69camaro
02-14-2005, 05:16 PM
Has anyone purchased one from the ebay seller listed above? I need to get a mark VIII fan for a buddy that let me use his when i couldn't get one in time to get mine running and it's time to get his fan back to him!

Thanks,
William

rancherlee
02-17-2005, 06:21 AM
94+ Thunderbird/Cougar fans have the same shroud/blade, just a weaker motor. 91-95 Taurus 2 speed fans move ~3800cfm also and a more compact, and cost about 20$ at wrecking yards.

64Comet
07-01-2005, 04:10 AM
Hate to bring up an old issue, but does anyone have the shroud measurments on the MarkVIII? Want to use it on my Comet, but I think it may be too large.

dhardison
07-01-2005, 05:17 AM
64Comet,

Check out this URL, it has dimensions and lots of other good info on the Mark VIII.

http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/markviii.htm

Dan

gmachinz
07-01-2005, 02:59 PM
mine measures out at 22x19x5.25 inches. I kept the side tabs and made my own aluminum extensions. Engine stays at 140-150 after warming up to that for about an hour of driving and it draws 27-28 amps to keep the temps there. I'm very impressed with them but I may have to take a jumper out of my progressive controller 'cause the motor stays too cold for too long damn near! I have it set so that the fan really begins moving at 158 degrees and my temp. guage doesn't hardly move for awhile. I thought my guage or sender went bad until I drove for about an hour initially. :lmao: -Jabin

USAZR1
07-06-2005, 02:52 PM
Mark VIII group purchase starting in the Advertisers Specials forum for $135 + shipping. I'm in.

my72vette454
07-06-2005, 07:15 PM
Hey Jabin, can a guy purchase the motor for a mark VIII fan assembly? Mine got hot where the wires go in the case and it quit working, ohmmeter says its open. If not, I need to get in on the group purchase for a new fan then.

Mike

ponjohn
07-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Guys havent been here in a loong time but heard about the GP on the fan.

Dan did you install the MK8 fan in your NOva? I am getting ready to install it in a 71 Ventura II with traditional Pontiac power. Problem is the snout of the WP is 3 1/2 inches from the radiator(griffin al.).
What i am wondering is, if I can offset the fan so it will fit?

Thanks for any info.'

john

dhardison
07-07-2005, 11:50 AM
John,

Right now I have a flex fan and stock shroud, but want to go to the Mark VIII (via the GP). I have about the same clearance between my Griffin and WP as you. I may have to switch to a short pump to get things to fit.

Dan

ponjohn
07-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Hmmm- seing as the subframes are the same as first gen f-body- do they have the same clearance problems?

What I am hoping is- My rad is 26 (fins) I am hoping I can move it to one side to get it to fit? Might not be an issue as my motor is offset to the pass side by one ich so this might help.(yes it supposed to be this way.

Tx-
John

stokers
07-19-2005, 05:04 PM
Must be alot of guys getting their Mark VIII fans from RockAuto. I just ordered mine this past weekend and the guy who took my order said it was the fourth one he sold that week for use in our type of cars.