PDA

View Full Version : Power Tour Questions

ZuperZport
05-31-2006, 10:28 AM
Hey folks. Will be joining the Power Tour in Columbia, SC and riding up the East Coast to Englishtown. Have a few basic questions:

1) Does the whole "convoy" of cars and trailers descend on the Power Tour sites at once? Major traffic jams?? Overheating?:dunno:

2) What goes on at each site once you are there? Events? Party all night?:dunno:

3) Trailer parking. Is everything asphalt? (please no mud!!):dunno:

Thanks everyone. Hope to see you there.

Bill Howell
05-31-2006, 10:40 AM
I will be a newbie this year also. I plan to be in no hurry every day, and let the crowd beat me there. I know that after you get to the destination every day, there is always an event there too. I will do some partying, but gotta pace yourself, it is a week long party....lol

CAMAROBOY69
05-31-2006, 11:06 AM
Prepare for occasional traffic jams, rain, sun, and any other weather elements. Most of the traffic jams come when your closer to your destination points. On the highway its usually 85mph+ depending on who you group with. Most people get together at the destination points then hook up for parties afterwards at night. Just remember you have to get up in the morning to leave for the next point. I only went on the end of the 2004 power tour so I dont have a ton of credibility but at least I got my feet wet. Literally! It rained both days and it rained harder than I have ever seen in my life! It was still fun but it gets expensive quick. Bring a video camera because the coolest part in my opinion is seeing 50-100 cars on the highway all at once. Soo cool. Everyone giving thumbs up and waving. Awesome experience for sure.

Bigblue73
05-31-2006, 11:11 AM
I did the Power Tour last year. It's the best thing I've done in a car for long time. You are correct, the only issue you will have is getting into the venues. Yes, everyone is in a herd when they hit the stops. After about the third day, you'll leave on your own and not go to the morning kick-off. It's best to have a super strong cooling system bar none. Once you're at the event sites, you break out the sun tan lotion and bake. After the event closes, it's up to you to make your own fun. Bill is right on their is always something going on.

Trailer parking.....your not bringing a stinkin trailer are you!!!!! There is plenty of parking for the support vehicles..no problem.

Have a great time and be safe. Take plenty of photos and I hope the weather stays nice for you all. C-ya next year.

ZuperZport
05-31-2006, 12:27 PM
Schedule Change. Thanks.

CAMAROBOY69
06-01-2006, 03:44 AM
Whoa thats awesome!!! Need more pics! Is that yours?

Mike Holleman
06-01-2006, 05:01 AM
This will be my fifth straight long haul. It is a rolling seven day party/car show. Some of the venues will have tens of thousands of spectators. Yes there will be traffic snarls. One fun thing to do is to get out ahead of the main group and find a nice shady spot to sit and watch em go by. Leave the trailer home. If you have car trouble you will have 10 cars stop to help.
Mike Holleman
64 Tempest Convertible

Bigblue73
06-01-2006, 05:58 AM
:worship: Did you buy XV-001?! Congrats if you did. The Mopar world will be giving your respect! Sweet ride.:worship:

jpdeuce
06-01-2006, 06:11 AM
You don't have to leave with the group. We did just a couple of times for the fun of it but ran ahead once on the interstate. The earlier you leave the less chance for congestion at the venue. You definetely want shade if you can find it.
Some will find a group to hang with each night.
There is paved parking for the tour cars but support vehicles usually end up in the grass.
Have a fun.
BTW, nice ride!

ZuperZport
06-01-2006, 10:57 AM
Schedule Change. Thanks.

Ron S
06-01-2006, 05:59 PM
That is truely a beautiful car,how does your new k frame seem to be working Ron

dropit69
06-01-2006, 06:09 PM
awesome car seen it on dream car garage ?..was this the car they were tracking?..if so looks amazing

Varkwso
06-02-2006, 01:47 AM
This wil be my fourth tour in a row. Most everybody hit your questions. The running down the road is the best part in my experience. The events at night get long winded sometimes but the giveaways are killer. I bring home tons of freebies (from Edelbrock Jackets to GM Performance parts).

You will hit traffic at times. Cars do break down. The venues are usually shade limited. You are often parking in the grass.

The best dang "car show" in the world though.

I will be in a 2005 GTO this year - the rest of my cars have "issues" related to my open track habit.....:3gears: