PDA

View Full Version : Trans Cooler?

74Novasteve
05-31-2006, 05:12 AM
I'm having a minor dilemma. I need to figure out a new cooling system for my '74 Nova and I want to keep it very reasonably priced. What I was wondering is if it's necessary to have the trans cooler built into the radiator, or if I could get a universal radiator without the built in trans cooler and just get an external cooler for the trans. It would be cooling a slightly built 700-r4 to be able to handle a low- to mid- 400hp 383. Could anyone offer some advice on this? Also, if I can use an external cooler, what should I be looking for in an external cooler? Thanks
-Steve

JamesJ
06-01-2006, 11:39 AM
yes you can use any small radiator. just put it in front of the radiator for the coolant. You can get them at all the major auto part stores. Or you can get a fancy one from any of the radiator companys. the main reason for having it built in is for size and looks.

74Novasteve
06-01-2006, 12:33 PM
Thanks alot for the help, James. Time to go buy me a radiator!

Richz68
06-01-2006, 01:51 PM
I'm having a minor dilemma. I need to figure out a new cooling system for my '74 Nova and I want to keep it very reasonably priced. What I was wondering is if it's necessary to have the trans cooler built into the radiator, or if I could get a universal radiator without the built in trans cooler and just get an external cooler for the trans. It would be cooling a slightly built 700-r4 to be able to handle a low- to mid- 400hp 383. Could anyone offer some advice on this? Also, if I can use an external cooler, what should I be looking for in an external cooler? Thanks
-Steve

Steve,

Be careful going with an external cooler with your tranny. What we call internal transmission coolers were originally designed to warm the transmission fluid at start-up and coincidentally cooled the fluid at high temps. They becaome known more as a cooler than a warmer. Most transmissions really only need a cooler now-a-days and the external cooler is the best scenario not only for the coolant temps, but for the ability to reduce transmission fluid temps. There are however always exceptions and GM overdrive trannys actually need their fluid to be warm during cold weather start ups. I noticed that you live in an area of the country where you might drive the car in sub 30 degree weather. If so, go with a internal cooler.

ProStreet R/T
06-01-2006, 06:05 PM
Steve,

Be careful going with an external cooler with your tranny. What we call internal transmission coolers were originally designed to warm the transmission fluid at start-up and coincidentally cooled the fluid at high temps. They becaome known more as a cooler than a warmer. Most transmissions really only need a cooler now-a-days and the external cooler is the best scenario not only for the coolant temps, but for the ability to reduce transmission fluid temps. There are however always exceptions and GM overdrive trannys actually need their fluid to be warm during cold weather start ups. I noticed that you live in an area of the country where you might drive the car in sub 30 degree weather. If so, go with a internal cooler.

Very good info here. If you aren't going to drive in super cool temps ya might just look into a high quality stacked fin trans cooler with a built in thermalswitch. It will bypass almost all of the cooler at cool temps and allows it to come up to temp much faster.

74Novasteve
06-03-2006, 01:38 PM
Hey guys,
I'm amazed you took my location into account, definitely something i didnt think about. I probably will be driving it in very cold weather so i may go with an internal cooler afterall. Will the internal cooler alone be enough during the summer though? It can reach 100 degrees here sometimes. Although the thermal switch with the external might be enough....Hmmm...I can't seem to find a cooler with a thermal switch though. Got anything in mind? Thanks again for all the help.
-Steve

Richz68
06-03-2006, 07:03 PM
Steve,

I would suggest going with the internal alone at first and possibly use a trans temp gauge. If you need additional cooling you can "piggy-back" an external cooler as well. I really doubt that you will need more than an internal transmission cooler though.

:twothumbs

74Novasteve
06-03-2006, 07:38 PM
Thanks Rich, I'm going with the internal cooler and I'll get the gauge as well. Good thing i didn't fab my gauge cluster yet....haha. Thanks for the help.:woot:
-Steve