PDA

View Full Version : Electric VS Mechanical gauges

Aceshigh
05-30-2006, 11:20 PM
Whazzup fella's.
I'm new here and got an invite from one of the boys over at Nastyz28 to join here since I'm modernizing my 78 Camaro.
It can be seen in Webshots under "Aceshigh74". I can't PASTE a link here....not sure why.

I'm in the process of installing a GTO LS1 into it, and completely modernizing my interior. :pat:

Anyways, I am trying to decide on my new gauge layout and I need some input as to the differences
between the Mechanical VS Electronic (expensive) gauges. I have my heart kinda set on Autometer Cobalt gauges,
and I REALLY like the Full Sweep style.

I just need to know what is the best route to go. I know an electronic speedo and tach is the best option
with my new motor......I hope that's right anyways.

But I don't know what to get for
Water Temp ?
Oil Pressure ?

I need help deciding which is the best route to go. All I know is I heard if your oil pressure line busts inside
your car it's a huuuuuge mess (mechanical) so I started checking out electronic options. Thanks guys.
Plus if any of you know any good sponsors we can get discounts through I'd be more then happy to support them
as I am ready to order once I get this decision figured out. The full package. :)

zbugger
05-30-2006, 11:27 PM
Hey there Ace. Welcome to the site. I put a full compliment of electric guages in my car. I'll attach a pic in a minute. Anyway, I think Autometer has said that there really isn't much difference in accuracy between electric and mechanical guages. Autometers electronic speedo's are easy to calibrate, but I'll be taking mine to a shop to get it accurate. so, besides the easy answers, I think it's really easier to install the electrical guages than the mechanical. I't basically hooking up wires. Here's a few shots of what I did.