PDA

View Full Version : air line

tbair
05-29-2006, 05:33 PM
I want to run air line around the shop. what have you used? what size line?

Matt@RFR
05-29-2006, 05:50 PM
PVC is illegal in some states, ABS SCH 80 or thicker is ok in some states, and steel is ok in all states.

Make sure you have some fall from the main line to the last drop so water doesn't settle in the main line.

The best setup is to have a regulator and drain on every drop, but the regulators can get expensive. Figure out how many drops you need, and then double it. Just like electrical outlets, you can never have too many.

baz67
05-29-2006, 06:35 PM
Steel can rust and plastic pipe can have adverse issues with paint. Copper is a good choice, but can be expensive.

Matt@RFR
05-29-2006, 07:35 PM
With a properly maintained air system, galvinized steel pipe would outlast the building. Especially true when running a dryer after the compressor.

mikey
05-29-2006, 09:10 PM
I have galvanized steel on mine. I don't like the idea of one of my family or guests walking past my compresser in the basement and the pvc pipe EXPLODING. No rust in my lines in 6 years. I used 1/2" up to my water trap/ regulator I reduced it to 3/8" hose from there outto my tools.

ProdigyCustoms
05-29-2006, 09:51 PM
I have used PVC for 25 years. Had a couple blow outs, nothing serious. No paint issues.

baz67
05-29-2006, 10:48 PM
I have used PVC for 25 years. Had a couple blow outs, nothing serious. No paint issues.

Well I will digress to Franks experience on that. I am passing on only what I have read on some paint forums. Blowouts would get me nervous though.

astroracer
05-30-2006, 04:35 AM
I did it the right way when I ran mine. Do it right, do it one time... Galvanized Pipe. It is the recommended material, will never fail and leaves any worries about bursting or breaking at the front door.
3/4" main lines with 1/2" drops.
I followed the guidelines on this site:
http://www.oldsmobility.com/air-compressor-piping.htm
Mark

tbair
05-30-2006, 05:27 PM
thanks for the help guys, looks like alot more plumming than I expected to make a good system.

mikey
05-30-2006, 09:14 PM
No trouble at all really Home Depot carries it and will cut it to your size if not in stock. Just seal up the threads where you join the pieces. All the little hissing leaks will get on your nerves.

Jim Nilsen
05-31-2006, 05:11 AM
I saw a thing on Dream Car Garage or My Classic Car or one of those shows that was showing a company that has a system that slips together in many different configurations and can be changed or moved and reused and it was plastic.

I'm with Frank on the pvc and definately use the schedule 80 and have had no problems. I have seen hot water burst schedule 40 with low pressure and high heat and it just split. The stuff rarley shatters,only splits from what I have seen and yes it is illegal in some states so make sure you check if you invite them in :screwy:

I really liked the system that you could buy and it sure seemed a lot easier to install and change since you didn't have to glue it at all.

Jim Nilsen

Charley Lillard
05-31-2006, 05:56 AM
If I were to do plastic again I would use Schedule 80 instead of 40. A word of caution. The problem with PVC is it does not show up on a Xray. Hiding the like or wraping it in something would slow the flying shrapnel if it were to burst.

kamaroman68
05-31-2006, 11:18 AM
Try www.garage-pak.com . These people have commercials on all the automotive shows. Chris