PDA

View Full Version : Camaro vs Firebird tie rods?

steve g
10-21-2004, 04:54 AM
Anyone know if there is a difference in 69 Camaro and 69 Firebird tie rod ends? I thought that the F body parts were interchangeable. The tie rod ends from Moog have different part numbers for Camaro and Firebird, with the Firebird being almost twice as expensive. I have read that the Firebirds were set up a little differently from the factory and handled better than the Camaros, but that was probably just Pontiac PR.

Lowend
10-21-2004, 06:38 AM
If I am not mistaken there were 3 different tie rods available in 1969 depending on if a car was manual or power steering - or quick ratio. You best measure the length

Zee
10-23-2004, 04:37 AM
I found the same thing on my 71 Formula. I found it was just cheaper and easier to order everything including the centerlink for a 79 Z28. :woot:

Side by side, the only difference I could detect was the location of the adjusting sleeve. Firebirds used a longer outer and shorter inner which placed the adjusting sleeve closer to the center of the car.

I have no idea why GM would have needed to locate the adjusting sleeve in a different location as there is nothing even close to causing interference on my car.

Drewhelm
10-25-2004, 10:08 AM
There is a significant difference between the 69 Camaro and 69 Firebird tie rods. I believe the adjusting sleeves are interchangeable, but everything else is different.

The FB inner tie rods are longer than the Camaro while the outers are shorter. I've HEARD that you can use the Camaro inner and outer tie rods together, but have not fitted them to the Firebird center link.

I just replaced the outer tie-rods on my Firebird. You can probably change to Camaro parts if you get both inner and outers.

Drew