PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Air install help!

awr68
05-27-2006, 11:40 PM
I bought a Gen II Vintage Air kit for my 68 Camaro from my local dealer, and since it's not the Sure Fit kit I have a few questions. I have installed the evaporator, but now it seems the glove box won't fit back in, is this common? Also, they sent me some round plastic duct fittings that are for the Astro vents but no explination on how they work, do you still use the black plastic elbow that has the flapper door in it? You must since it's what retains the ball in the vent? Ok, now for the defrost vents, do you guys actually use these 'camaro' vents and if so how do you mount them? I'm a little worried they wont look good viewed threw the windshield since they don't fit the dash opening perfectly and are on the shinny side.

Also, I used the DSE bracket to mount the evaporator, fit perfectly! In hind site I should have bought the whole VA package from DSE and not my local dealer since they only deal with 'restorations' and have never dealt with anything other than the Sure Fit kits. At least DSE would have sent the right install manual and had all the answers if I still had questions!

Thanks in advance!

navyflyer72
05-28-2006, 07:11 AM
I have all the same questions, anyone out there have some advice? I think Vintage Air should look into re-designing the defroster vents, that is the worst part of their whole system, they don't fit right, you need to modify everything to get them to look even close to factory... blah, blah, blah... I could go on and on about this. Hey also, does anyone know how to locate the holes to drill in the dash for stock vents? Not to hijack this thread, just along the same lines. BTW, I had 1/16 sheet metal glued to the defroster vents, painted black and had tabs to go down to the firewall to screw them in, then glue the sheet metal to the underside of the defroster holes. Still not exactly perfect, but better than nothing.
-George

Marty G Cars
05-28-2006, 07:27 AM
I installed the same kit in my 68. I had to buy new adaptors from Rick's 1st Generation to get the hoses to connect to the ball vents, and no I did not use the flapper elbows. I also couldn't get a glove box back in so I just mounted my fire ext to the inside of my glove box door. I used Classic Industries center console/armrest combo (available to fit with or without your factory center console) which provides a neat storage bin under the padded armrest. On the defrost vents I removed the factory plastic ductwork and connected the new hoses to the smaller defroster vent ducts supplied with the kit. I mounted them to the firewall (making sure the screws went into the cowl area not the engine compartment). These defroster vent ducts do not completely fill up the factory opening but if you center them and tape them in good with black duct tape it will never be seen. Hope that helps.

awr68
05-28-2006, 09:32 AM
I have all the same questions, anyone out there have some advice? I think Vintage Air should look into re-designing the defroster vents, that is the worst part of their whole system, they don't fit right, you need to modify everything to get them to look even close to factory... blah, blah, blah... I could go on and on about this. Hey also, does anyone know how to locate the holes to drill in the dash for stock vents? Not to hijack this thread, just along the same lines. BTW, I had 1/16 sheet metal glued to the defroster vents, painted black and had tabs to go down to the firewall to screw them in, then glue the sheet metal to the underside of the defroster holes. Still not exactly perfect, but better than nothing.
-George

I did find the Sure Fit install info at this link, it has templates for all the holes that may need to be cut in the dash...look towards the last pages. It also explanes, kinda, what to do to the Astro vents. I would say at this point my main consern is the glove box and porely fitting defrost vents....

http://www.vintageair.com/DownloadsSection/Surefit/Chevrolet%20Passenger%20Cars/1967-68%20Chevrolet%20Camaro%20(Inet).pdf

KUL FIR CHICK N
05-29-2006, 06:40 AM
Did you order the complete kit from DSE?

awr68
05-29-2006, 02:13 PM
Thanks, I did buy all the proper (camaro) vents and got them all to work...now I need to address the glove box....I think I need to get one of your two piece units.

BTW, the online Sure Fit instructions came in REAL handy...thanks!!

awr68
05-31-2006, 07:29 PM
Did you order the complete kit from DSE?

No, I didn't buy any VA parts from DSE, only the evaporator bracket...it fit great, is nicely built, and as usual the very thorough instructions included a few nice pics...gotta love DSE!!

BTW, I talked with Stacy Tucker today and she gave me my options for the glove box...gotta love their willingness to help! I would have bought this VA system from them if I didn't already have in-store-credit (returned fenders) at my local dealer's store...next time I will go with DSE!!

Ok the options are:
1) Trim the origional glove box to fit.
2) Use the VA two piece glove box.
3) Build one from aluminum.

I am going to try #1 first.