PDA

View Full Version : Question on stepped headers??

John McIntire
05-25-2006, 06:31 PM
What are the benefits of a stepped header? Is it simply for packaging reasons? or does it increase power or torque in any way?
Just curious, maybe you can get the power down low with a smaller primary off the head, but then step it up a notch, so when you stand on it, it breaths easier?
I don't know, I'm sure someone here can educate me!

ProdigyCustoms
05-25-2006, 08:02 PM
I spent a hour on the phone with Jerry Stahl a month ago talking about this very thing. And while he does not believe steping makes any apprecable difference, he builds them anyway. Give Jerry a call and ask him if he thinks step headers FLOW better then not steped.

www.stahlheaders.com

Matt@RFR
05-25-2006, 08:09 PM
What are the benefits of a stepped header? Is it simply for packaging reasons? or does it increase power or torque in any way?
Just curious, maybe you can get the power down low with a smaller primary off the head, but then step it up a notch, so when you stand on it, it breaths easier?
I don't know, I'm sure someone here can educate me!
Oh, it's WAY more complicated than that. :) The theory, the way I understand it, is that the steps create a low pressure area at the transition and help exhaust scavenging.

Talk to Stahl, but talk to Burns too. If you buy atleast their collectors, they'll design your headers for you with their software.

Steve1968LS2
05-25-2006, 10:27 PM
When we tested my LS2 the first test was done with 1 3/4 Hooker long tubes.. 462hp

They we switched to 1 7/8 stepped long tubes and picked up 10hp all across the pull.. Maybe it was just the larger size after the step.. or a better tube design but 10hp is a great gain.

Why they work better is pretty complicated, but they do :)

John McIntire
05-27-2006, 12:31 PM
I was just curious because I'm having them made for my car now. They're being stepped from 2 and 1/8 up to 2 and 1/4.