PDA

View Full Version : Standard vs. Offset UCA Shafts?

NvrDun71
05-25-2006, 05:10 PM
I am currently looking into the Global West offest UCA shafts for my Nova, and have a few questions???? First being will a stock UCA with Del-A-Lum bushings benefit from the offset shaft or should a standard shaft be used?

Also what are the adavantages w/ the offest shafts vs standard? Is it just in an effort to use less shims, and is it really necessary on a primarily street driven vehicle?

Someone please enlighten me. Thanks for any help in advance:cheers:

David Pozzi
05-25-2006, 05:46 PM
If your present upper arms have bolts to retain the bushings then you need to convert to shafts with the large nuts on the ends. Assuming you will use a Del-A-Lum type bushing. The offset part allows more options for adjustment, it can reduce the amount of shims needed if you dial in a lot of neg camber.

NvrDun71
05-25-2006, 07:29 PM
Any other opinions out there?

68Formula
05-26-2006, 03:47 AM
David's one of the more knowledgeable suspension guys on the forum. If you don't get any more opinions, his is probably all you need anyway. :hail:

NvrDun71
05-26-2006, 06:01 AM
David's one of the more knowledgeable suspension guys on the forum. If you don't get any more opinions, his is probably all you need anyway. :hail:

I agree completely :hail: . He as well as others are the ones who have steered me in the right path of my suspension setup thus far. His advice is always greatly appreciated. I know he speaks of the ease of dialing in alot of negative camber w/ the offset shafts however I really have no clue on how much I could dial in as at this time as I am not doing the G-mod and am reusing the stock upper and lower CA's w/ the DelALum's. Therefore in my application I am just trying to figure out If it is beneficial to use the offset shafts or just to stick w/ the standard billet shaft from Global West.

68Formula
05-26-2006, 06:24 AM
If you're not doing the G-mod, then technically it would be better for you to dial in more static negative camber, since your dynamic camber will change opposite of what what is best for handling.

However, lots of negative camber on the street (where you really aren't constantly taking high speed corners) is going to cause improper tire wear.

In your case, probably follow the Gulstrand Touring Car alignment without G-mod listed on www.pozziracing.com

NvrDun71
05-26-2006, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the advice man... therefore offset shafts would be a good addition then.

Marcus SC&C
05-31-2006, 09:34 AM
The offset shafts are an alignment aid. The stock alignment specs for your Nova are really lame for performance use. You`ll want more + caster and - camber. With stock ride height and stock cross shafts you should be able to do a lot better than stock alignment. BUT,if you lower the car it`s positive camber gain in jounce will have the tire tilted outward at the top and you`ll need to add more shims to get it back where it was. This is where you run into trouble. On most cars you`ll run out of room for the shims and nut on the rear cross shaft stud long before you get the alignment where you want it. That`s where the offset shafts come in. They act like an extra 1/2" of shims,but without the actual extra shims. I`d shoot for -.5* to -.75* camber and + 3.5* to +4.5* caster. If you can get the alignment in that range that with lowered ride height,higher spring rate (and shocks) you`ll have a nice improvment over the stock handling. Mark SC&C

NvrDun71
05-31-2006, 11:09 AM
Hey man I really appreciate the informative info :cheers: . That definitely clarifies the advantages of the offset shafts. I will most definitely be going with the offset shafts.

rohrt
05-31-2006, 11:27 AM
Who sells the offset shafts for a good price. I need them also.

bretcopsey
05-31-2006, 12:24 PM
They are available as a replacement part from Moog, part number K5250. You'll need two.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=MOO&mfrpartnumber=K5250&parttype=5001&ptset=A

rolltide
05-31-2006, 06:17 PM
I received mine from GW today. They're 63.45 each in billet. These are threaded for the Del-A-Lum bushings which use a nut (rather than a bolt) to secure the bushing.
Terry

rohrt
06-01-2006, 05:44 AM
The K5250 comes up as a control arm bushing on the autozone site. They don't show anything for the control arm shaft kit. Was hoping to get it localy.

bretcopsey
06-01-2006, 06:02 AM
I don't think Auto Zone caries Moog. Do you have an Advanced Auto Parts, Checker, Shucks, Kragen etc near you?

The K5250 kit consists of one cross shaft, two rubber bushings, two cupped washers and two nuts IIRC.

I only kept the cross shatfs because I used GW Del a Lum bushings.

BonzoHansen
06-01-2006, 06:49 AM
Rockauto lists K5250 for $41.79 (I looked up 71 Nova). There is a discount code out there too. Search here, nastyz28 and/or Team Camaro. I posted one somewhere.

Description:
Frt Susp; Upper; Offset Shaft Kit; Problem Solver; Provides additional positive camber adjustment, 2 required {Control Arm Shaft Kit}