PDA

View Full Version : Lead Paint

Kevin1kas
10-20-2004, 04:13 PM
I started stripping the (Original) paint off the firewall of my 1962 Chevy 2. I used paint remover / scrapper, but for the hard to reach places, etc., I'm planning on using a die grinder fitted with a wire brush. I did it for about 10-15 minutes, and it was working pretty good. I was telling a co-worker about it and he asked if Chevy used lead in their automotive paint. I do not have a clue what they used back in the 60's. Hell, for all I know they could have used asbetos or some other toxic junk.. :)

Anyone know if they did / should I (do I really need to) use a respirator for this?

MrQuick
10-20-2004, 09:42 PM
Hey Kevin, I think lead was just used in household type paint to create a glossy look and not in automotive paints. I could be wrong.I thought it was just laquer based paint. You should be wear a dust mask and latex glove when stripping or removing paint anyways.
Its just lead, how bad can it be? I must have ate at least 10 pounds of paint chips off of my window sill growing up and I seen to be fine. :rolleyes5 :pat:

Kevin1kas
10-20-2004, 09:43 PM
Thanks.. :woot:

MuscleRodz
10-21-2004, 02:49 PM
It was painted with laquer. The only lead your car should have will be in the body seams or maybe some filler. Oh yeah, don't eat the paint after you remove either. :naughty:

Mike

Jim Nilsen
10-21-2004, 09:11 PM
The paint is laquer but the primer is a lead base and can be left on if you use the right sealer (DP90). I used my original lead primer as my first surface blocking to find the low spots and help fill them if needed and it worked out great. The original primer is as durable as it gets and the paint shop I got my paint from (PPG) said it was the way to do it if they were doing it.
I stripped the car with POR - Strip from the makers of POR 15.You will be able to spray it on and then just wipe off the paint with those Shop-Towels ( heavy paper towels)you can get everywhere. It took off everything except the original primer.It was even easier when doing the dash because I didn't even have to base prime it since it stayed as well. It is some really durable primer and breathing it will not be healthy at all and a respirator is preffered over a dust mask when sanding.

Have fun, Jim Nilsen

BRIAN
10-23-2004, 06:50 PM
DP epoxy primer used to be lead based but is no longer available and is now DPLF. The orig e-coat is tuff as nails but I would not put paint remover on it unless I was actually removing it. It can absorb and cause adhesion problems. It might have worked if you possibly allowed enough dry out time but why risk it? You are playing with a lot of harmful chemicals anyway. Use a dust mask or dust resperator and you will be fine. Just don't eat it and you will be ok. That paint remover is probably more dangerous than that dust could ever be. Use common sense!!!