PDA

View Full Version : Huge price difference charged from what quoted

jerebus67
05-23-2006, 08:12 PM
Need some help. I brought my 67 camaro convertible to a guy in October of last year and he quoted me 8500 for a color change from Red to Black. No major body work needed. I put an SS hood on it, front and rear spoiler and we ended up putting a new trunk lid on it. A buddy and I took the engine off the frame and powdercoated the frame and core support and reassembled it and brought it back to him so he really didnt do the frame off. He said there was some rust he had to fix on the firewall and a little repair to the dash. I have paid him 9500 so far on it and now he says he needs 3300 more due to the fact he has more hours into that he thought he would. This 3300 is for some of the powercoating and parts he had to buy and the extra labor hours. I am an idiot and didnt get the first quote in writing. He has been a good guy but I think that 4300 more than the first estimate is a pretty good chunk. First of all he said he should have it done by April 1st and now with it being MAy 23rd he is asking for 4300 over what he quoted. Any suggestions??? Pics of the process!

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e143/jerebus67/?sc=1

Is 12800 crazy for a perfect paint job??

redss86
05-24-2006, 04:58 AM
By the looks of the pics, that doesn't sound to expensive to me. But then again, if he told you $8500 to start w/ he should have stuck to it. On the same hand, you should have gotten it in writing. The new paint looks awesome, and w/ it being black just shows how much time was spent on it. I would probably have the same reaction as you if I was asked to pay 1.5 times as much as I was quoted. I am a body man/ painter by trade and I know how quick the hours can add up.

I love the color combo.

Hope you get something worked out,
Joe

Charley Lillard
05-24-2006, 05:38 AM
If the paint is as nice as it looks you are getting off cheap. He appears to be doing a very nice job. There are painters that want to do it right and there are painters that want to get the work out. If he had tried to go quick to make the deadline he would have cut corners. I would much rather have the guy do it right. Yes he should have been better at estimating but oh well, he wasn't. Many resto shops won't quote a price...They just bill you as the actual hours add up. It is so easy to get 3-4 hours tied up in some little thing that you figure should take 20 minutes but unforseen stuff happens. I would rather have that little thing fixed correctly and not just hidden for me to find later. Be happy that your car is almost out of paint jail.

Jagarang
05-24-2006, 05:56 AM
Many resto shops won't quote a price...They just bill you as the actual hours add up.

OHHHhh yeah! Ain't that the truth. Been there done that.

If the work is good and your happy with the paint, then the price isn't outrageous. Just don't let it keep going.

Sit down with him and ask him to honestly make a written commitment as to whats left and whats expected. Sign it, with witnesses, and when the numbers reach the agreed value make sure you've both satisfied your parts.

PT Goat
05-24-2006, 07:18 AM
Not sure what state you're in, but what he did is against the law in NJ. There must be a written estimate, signed by the customer, and any increase in cost of more than 10% over that must be authorized in writing as well. Many other states have similar consumer protection laws covering everything from vehicle service to home repairs. VERY few businesses comply with these laws. I'm not suggesting you go the legal route, but you should become aware of your rights. If nothing else, they are a bargaining chip if he wants another $3000 in two months.

colt zantop
05-24-2006, 08:49 AM
yeah...ive "been there done that" too! get quotes in writing :)

Bill Howell
05-24-2006, 10:30 AM
It looks like a very good quality job to me. Gas was 29cents in 67, paint jobs were about $500. Both are much higher now. I think the price is about right. Remember, the sting of a pricey job will wear off way before the quality does. I would much rather have the problem of a higher than expected bill, than a crappy job on the workmanship. Let it be a lessoned learned about communication, but be glad he took the time to do it right.

Rebird
05-24-2006, 11:30 AM
Killer Paint!!!!!! Its Worth It!!!!!

DRJDVM's '69
05-24-2006, 01:01 PM
Sit down and talk to the guy. When I've had situations like this I've been able to reach a middle ground with the person. Be honest about what you were quoted and were expecting to pay and that you understand that it went over the original estimate and you can live with that but not as much over as it seems to be going.

There's such as thing as going over budget and then there's doubling the price once you're half way into it. In my opinion theres a big difference. Its not your fault he underquoted you so much, but if the guy is doing a good job he should be paid for it. There is a good middle ground..

toxicz28
05-24-2006, 05:53 PM
Is 12800 crazy for a perfect paint job??

No, it's not. I've spoken to guys at shows that have spent alot more on paint than that.

ZZ430
05-24-2006, 05:58 PM
Remember, the sting of a pricey job will wear off way before the quality does. I would much rather have the problem of a higher than expected bill, than a crappy job on the workmanship.

Very well said Bill, I was thinking the same thing.

jerebus67
05-30-2006, 07:32 PM
ok well it is almost done but i am sick to my stomach about the quality of the job. There are some imperfections in the paint. You can see the sand marks on top of the quarters. Now what to do. I am so sick of waiting for it to be done. The guy is so slowwwww.

So I have paid 13K for the job, it is not perfect. About 5 different spots were there are little imperfections in the paint. The sand marks really are noticible on top of the quarters. What to do??

I asked him before hand if he was comfortable painting it black and he said he was. Is it just that hard painting a black car without imperfections?

awr68
05-30-2006, 08:49 PM
First I want to say I'm VERY sorry to hear this!!

Don't take the car untill he fixes these issues!! If he is a stand up guy at all he will fix it, becides a job like that will be seen by a lot of people for many yeas to come...you would think he would want it to look awesome.

My friend is building a Model A and had a simular story. He dropped the car off expecting to pay $6500 for a 2-stage blue paint job, added a little more body work, and then half way threw (before paint) decided to go the satin black look (single stage). The painter said that since he didn't have to color sand and polish, the body work should be a wash, sounded good! Final price $12!! BTW, he stopped by at least once a week always asking how they were doing money wise, to always get the same responce "good, we might even be under the quoted $6500!!!" But come the final week all the sudden his bill almost doubled! Yeah I think he go taken!! Oh and there are a few issues with the paint quality that will never get fixed either!!

These stories scare the hell out of me since I'm getting close to taking mine in for paint, and I can't come up with twice what I was quoted...I guess nothing is better than a signed document!! Thanks for the lessons guys!!

Gordz32
05-31-2006, 12:25 AM
That sucks that your paint has some imperfections. I've been pricing paint out and your 12k is right in the area for minor bodywork plus, paintwork, plus cut and buff. As for the scratches in the top of the fender. Its either neglect to finish sanding, or it could be that some layer shrunk do to rushing the job. Its tuff to find good people. Black is the hardest color as everyone know but it looks the best. Like someone said above, sit down and talk with him and make sure your happy with the job before you take the car. Goodluck.

smittys69
05-31-2006, 08:47 AM
Similar story but I was not quoted a price and understood that it would be done as "fill-in" work and by the hour. Seventeen (17) months later, I am still visiting the paint shop at least three times a week to ensure things that do get done, get done to my satisfaction. And yes, I'm not happy about the car being gone 17 months but keep hoping that maybe next week, it'll be done. Hang in there and don't take it out until it's done to your satisfaction or you have no other choice.

toxicz28
06-04-2006, 06:40 PM
ok well it is almost done but i am sick to my stomach about the quality of the job. There are some imperfections in the paint. You can see the sand marks on top of the quarters. Now what to do. I am so sick of waiting for it to be done. The guy is so slowwwww.

So I have paid 13K for the job, it is not perfect. About 5 different spots were there are little imperfections in the paint. The sand marks really are noticible on top of the quarters. What to do??

I asked him before hand if he was comfortable painting it black and he said he was. Is it just that hard painting a black car without imperfections?

Don't pay till you are happy!