PDA

View Full Version : setting timing

kman67rsss
10-20-2004, 11:58 AM
ok, i have gotten a good idea of what to set the timing at, but now its a matter of how to do it. i understand the curve is a direct input from the springs and that the max is from the bushing installed, by the way this is an MSD 85551 dist. what i dont know is how to set initial timing, or how to read it. i have a light, but am not sure how to interpert the data. is the timing the number that flashes at the 0* an the timing tab, or no. any help would be great. thank you.

Matt@RFR
10-20-2004, 01:26 PM
If you have the correct balancer and timing pointer for your motor, do this:

If you have a standard, non adjustable timing light, then set timing by aligning the mark on the balancer with the number you want the timing to be on the pointer, not zero. If you set it at zero, you will have zeroš of timing, or TDC.

If you have an adjustable timing light (or "dial back"), set the number of degrees you want on the light, then line up the mark on the balancer with the zero mark on the pointer, which will result in the number that you set on the light.

Oh yeah, make sure you have the spark plug lead for the light hooked to the #1 cylinder wire.