PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone make a FI set up for Olds big blocks?

NewMuscle
05-21-2006, 04:42 PM
Hey guys I am thinking about buying a rust free 70 numbers matching 455 442 for cheap but I was thinking about doing a minor pro-touing job to it as no one seems to do Olds. Does anyone make FI for a 455 Olds? I would be driving this car doing some daily commuter driving. I'd like to get a minimum of 16mpg preferably 18-20. I do mostly highway driving. Should I be looking into this or for a T-56 to bolt up to the 455 instead?

Hammered
05-21-2006, 06:22 PM
If your choice is EFI or 5 spd, I would go with a TKO 600 5spd. It will bolt up but I'm not sure if you'll have to cut the tunnel. I EFI'd my Pontiac and it would be the same for you except for the availability of a manifold which can have the bungs welded in by many different shops. I have a lot of EFI info on my website.

John

NewMuscle
05-21-2006, 08:17 PM
Hey John, thanks for the info. Couple questions, first you're saying could I just take a edelbrock intake made for Olds and have a shop weld in a few bungs for? Could I then jsut use that manifold with Edelbrocks Pro-flo EFI system for BBC? Second about how much did your kit run you?

Hammered
05-22-2006, 06:22 PM
I have well over $3,500 in mine but went with the best of everything. I'm also including every fitting, relay, etc... in that price. You can probably do it for less than $2,500 if you make the effort.

There are plenty of places that will weld bungs into your manifold:

Wilson Manifolds
Kinsler Fuel Injection

are just two. I am not a fan of the Edelbrock stuff. You need a chip burned for your combo and the tuneability is very limited. The E-stuff is also limited in the features that it provides. I spec'd my "kit" out myself. It's no different than spec'ing different parts for an engine build. I'd be glad to help you if you get serious.

John

Chad-1stGen
05-22-2006, 07:04 PM
Years in a 455 powered jet boat as a kid has given me a soft spot for those engines. Go for it and good luck :)

sg69
05-27-2006, 08:25 PM
check out the mass-flo system from quality roadsters. massfloefi.com (http://www.massfloefi.com)

BigBlockOlds
06-01-2006, 05:39 PM
If you haven't yet, you might want to check out/join www.realoldspower.com There are a few guys there running EFI. In fact, there is a guy selling his complete 455 setup cheap.

The only "off the shelf" EFI setup for an Olds is from www.rancefi.com but there are a lot cheaper way of doing this.

Later this summer a friend of mine is modifying my Offy Supersonic intake for port fuel injection. I plan on running the Megasquirt V3.0 computer and controlling the timing with a stock, 307 Olds CCC distributor.

Scott Parkhurst
06-02-2006, 08:23 AM
I'm pretty sure **** Miller offers one too-

www.dickmillerracing.com

~SP~