PDA

View Full Version : What exhaust w/ truck arm suspension?

redss86
05-21-2006, 10:50 AM
Hey guys need a little help here,

I am trying to decide what kind of exhaust to run on my 86 Monte SS. The problem is that I have custom built the frame from the firewall back, and am running the truck arm setup. This means that there is no way possible to run it all the way out the rear. I would love to do it that way but it is not possible w/ my shocks, shock mount, and phb setup. I will have to route it out infront of the tires, but I don't have much room. This is because I basically have a big X in my frame (see pics). For the engine I am wanting to build for it I will have to run 1.75" primaries w/ around a 30" primary length including the exhaust port length.

I have looked at a couple different muffler options but haven't had much luck. Here are a couple I have looked at, and am wondering if anybody knows how loud they are. http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=137_138&products_id=3213&zenid=95d9c07351ce728459d3bf5744bcb944
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=137_138&products_id=3209
I know I am not going to have a very quiet car regardless, but don't want anything obnoxious. I also wander if the second ones are available w/ single in and single out?

Also, how hard/ expensive is it to build custom headers?

Here are some pics of my frame setup, and a poor shot of clearance from floor to frame. I will post some better pics as soon as I take some.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

trackrat79
05-23-2006, 11:32 AM
I have a 68 chevy truck with the same suspension. When I baught it it had the mufflers in the pockets of space on ither side of the drive shaft inside of the truck arms. How much space is left in the shaft tunnel could you run your pipes past the tranny down the tunnel with the drive shaft. And just run some turndowns at the mufflers. It sounds cool when it bounces off the ground and then out the back.

redss86
05-26-2006, 07:55 PM
That's an option I hadn't really thought about, but is a possibility.

Anybody else have any ideas?

TIA
Joe

Madspeed
05-30-2006, 07:33 PM
Well how do I put this?
Your Screwed?
Your gonna have to exit out the side unless you want to mod the floorplan a lot.
You deffinatly have some nice work going there though.
Other than tossing out the truck arm setup and going with somthing better. Like the factory triangulated 4 link that was in it.
you will need to do florrpan remodling as I stated prev.
truck arm setups arent what they were craked up to be .
If you did the work yourself then I really think you can redo it without much troubble and you will be much better off.
Do a seacrh on truck arm systems to see what the scoup is .
Most guys here do a 3 link triangulated 4 link or a tourqe arm setup.
Please dont think I am bashing your stuff it is not my intent.
Just my .02 C

redss86
05-31-2006, 04:23 AM
I have done alot of searching here and on other sites, read many books, and did alot of general research on this setup. I know I will have to exit out the side, my questions were pertaining to sound issues.

I appreciate your opinion, but this is the setup I want.

Thanks for the help though,
Joe

JMarsa
06-01-2006, 08:18 PM
Joe,

I'm running a truck arm on a Nova, we've got about the same wheel base. Anyway mine is not installed but I'm planning on running cats (crazy I know, who here does that?) and an X pipe with the remaining pipe using those baffle inserts. The inserts might work for you too.

--JMarsa