PDA

View Full Version : buick riv....

RobM
10-20-2004, 05:08 AM
well i just recently stumbled across a really clean 64 buick riviera for a really good price, now i dont know much about these cars other than i really like how they look. do you think these are light enough to be fast? does any body know what kind of suspension peices i can get for them? i think the car would look awsome with some 18's on it and slammed. i wouldnt mind putting some good brakes, nice wheels, and some air bag in the thing to make a really sweet cruiser.

Steve Chryssos
10-20-2004, 05:29 AM
I have a 65. Great car. It's like a Chevelle got it on with a Cadillac and the Riv is it's lovechild: A great combination of muscle and luxury.

Before buying, pay particular attention to the trim. There's a lot of it!! Stainless, chrome, wood--it's everywhere you look. Some of that trim is hard to find. So you want as much as possible to be intact and in good condition.

Double check the HVAC system as well. Tons of vacuum lines.
I just freshened the driveshaft. Whew! Five U-Joints and a hanger bearing. 400 bucks - Yippie.

Obviously, they're not much in the way of handling cars. Suspension design isn't terrible for the period but the X-style frame is less than rigid. Like you said, they make great cruisers. 18's can work if you source 40 or even 45 series tires. It'd be a shame to kill the car's comfortable ride.

http://homepage.mac.com/streetfytr/PhotoAlbum23.html

RobM
10-20-2004, 05:40 AM
steve i love your car, yeah i wouldnt want to kill the cars ride quality, i think air bags would be perfect for the car.

Salt Racer
10-20-2004, 02:19 PM
...It'd be a shame to kill the car's comfortable ride.

I'm officially ashamed.

As far as I know, nobody makes repop sheetmetal and other parts for '63-'65 Rivs. I'm having a helluva time trying to find a decent driver side fender for my '65, and I paid dearly for passenger side fender (and clamshells). '63 & '64 stuff are a little easier to come by as their front sheetmetals interchange. '65 has its own front sheetmetal. Like Steevo said, you want to make sure the car's in good condition and many parts are intact. You'll save money paying extra couple of grands and buy a good car than buying a beat up car like I did.

'64 is a little more preferable over '63 unless you plan to do complete drivetrain swap. Dynaflow(?) 2-sp auto isn't really great from what I hear. '64s have TH400 (don't know if they made switch pitch in '64). All '64s have 425ci Nailhead, while both 401 & 425 were used in '63 and '65. Not a whole lot of parts are available for Nailheads these days. TA performance has some, Comp Cams has a core (you'll have to pick the lobe specs), and Gasseler Porting has nice but expensive heads on exchange basis.

Common area of rust is around the rear window. Even many CA cars have rust in this area.

As far as chassis/suspension goes, you'll have to make pretty much everything yourself if you want to do some kind of upgrading. You'll even have tough time finding replacement parts such as inner tie rods. About the only thing that can interchange with other GM vehicles is springs. EDIT I think air spring kits are available - it's jut not my thing.

But, '63-'65 Rivs are one of the coolest cars Detroit ever built IMO. I'll live with the hassle.

Click on my profile and find some of my past posts. There are some pics of my car, and its front/rear suspension (JFYI, I hate the color of my car). The car is currently going through a minor make over in an interest of further reduction in cushy ride. Goodbye one-finger slow steering and cool aluminum drums - hello 12.7:1, 0.235"-valved steering and 13", 4-piston brakes.

socalfandabodys
10-20-2004, 03:26 PM
My buddys grandpa has a 65 riv. Its black with street rodder mirrors,shaved door handles,led tail lights blended into the back panel barely noticeable. Full grey leather interior,autometer gauges in the original console. On air bags with 18x8's. The car has the original finned drums and is extremely clean. It also has a custom made billet phantom type grille. It always wins awards at every show because no one is use to seeing a really tricked out riv and they look so good when people do/

KWIKND
10-20-2004, 04:02 PM
Check this one out. Tim and Carrie are doing my 69 A body currently.
http://www.strangemotion.com/html/1963_buick_riviera.html
Dan