PDA

View Full Version : Re: Alternative affordable fuel option

YenkoYS100
05-20-2006, 12:32 PM
Anyone thought about converting to LPG ? (Propane) I'm giving it some serious thought. I'm really depressed with these gasoline prices. It's all BS. Around me, propane is $1.79-$1.89 gal. I remember racers in the past, using LPG and turbos, as LPG is high octane (= lotsa boost), and has combustion cooling benefits.

I'm really seriously considering this option, especially since I haul LPG for a living. LOL I just can't get all excited about building a 4mpg. 427 BBC, and paying $3+ a gal. to drive it.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

I also need 5 posts before I can post in classifieds.

Looking for clean, minor work needed Original '68 Camaro front fenders/ SS hood, & trunklid with spoiler holes. Also looking for another Rajay 301E flow turbo. Cash, or may have BBC L/78,L/88,L/89,LS-5 parts to deal with.

Thanks, Rick

Kenova
05-20-2006, 05:25 PM
Is E85 available in your area?

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18384

Ken

neki67
05-21-2006, 01:40 AM
Ak Miller started experimenting with propane as a performance fuel back in the '70s. He set class records at Bonneville. Actually Propane/Turbo engines were banned from several (boat)racingclasses in the seventies!

I myself have a copy of a publication called "propane fuel conversions for automotive engines" by Jay Storer (S-A Design, ISBN 0-931472-12-1) which has an entire section dedicated to turbocharging propanefueled engines.

Google let me to this (forum)link which has a number of good sites listed: http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-460.html

Here in the Netherlands Propane is vastly available and gasoline is twice as expensive here compared to the US, so guess what this BBC is using for fuel . . . .

my72vette454
05-21-2006, 11:30 AM
I have an old 78 dodge pickup that now has the 440 I built for a challenger years ago and its running 11.5 to one pistons. I couldnt get it to run right on premium so I converted it to propane and it runs great. The downside is the propane carbs dont have the cfm flow for performance so I picked up a tunnelram for it and another mixer but havent had time to get it on yet. With the cam I have the motor really used to pull hard at about 3 grand or so and just as it starts to pull hard it runs out of air and dies out at 4500 rpm, wheras on gas it would pull hard to 6800 or so. my friend has a 02 powerstroke that he has worked over, chipped, different injectors, coldair kit, blah blah blah and from a dig he can pull me a length or so but from a roll we are dead even. I see you are looking for a rajay turbo, is this for your big block camaro? I built a twin turbo setup on my vette two winters ago using rajay 301 e turbos, you will love the power. :drive:

Mike

YenkoYS100
05-27-2006, 01:57 PM
Thanks for all the great info. guys!!

Yes, the Rajay would be for the Camaro. I just saw an LPG tunnelram top with 2 units on top of it, listed on eBay. Cool looking setup. Bet it goes cheap?

---------
Rick