PDA

View Full Version : Z28 vs SS LS1

DaveO
05-19-2006, 08:14 PM
Need some help. I'm looking at a couple 2002 LS1s w/ roughly equivalent miles, one from a Z28 and one from an SS. Stock HP/TQ ratings are 310/340 for the Z and 325/350 for the SS.

My first question is why the difference? Is it programming, exhaust or a different cam/heads? I tried searching but couldn't find any info. (EDIT: I know it's just factory HP ratings, but is there a legit difference or just marketing?)

Second, I'm planning a head/cam swap - looking to get ~500 at the crank. So does it matter which motor I'm starting with? The Z engine is about $500 less than the SS engine.

Third, I also found an '04 GTO LS1 w/ about half the miles of the other two for ~$1500 more. Is it worth it? I figure no since I'm modifying anyways, they all have the LS6 intake, and I could use those $$ to fund the new heads.

Thoughts or advice? thx everyone in advance.

rocketman
05-19-2006, 08:48 PM
The engine's are the same.The exhuast and air intake(ram air on ss)are the differnece's.

I would get one of the camaro engines and head and cam that.

DaveO
05-19-2006, 09:51 PM
The engine's are the same.The exhuast and air intake(ram air on ss)are the differnece's.

thx for the info. all that stuff's changing anyways, so good to know. yep, I heard the Camaro engines are easier to install in a 1st gen (oil pan).

Moose
05-20-2006, 02:19 AM

Totally agree myself. I would pull the heads and do a heads and cam. I would change the timing chain and put the ARP head studs in it and you will be as good as new.

(head studs only because it makes it nice and easy when you want to take them off again.)

justforfun
05-20-2006, 06:51 AM
In 2002, some LS1 engines were actually built using the LS6 block.

The casting number on the LS6 block is 12561168 and can be found under the rear of the driver's side head.

http://www.webpointusa.com/images/customers/82141/gallery/block4.JPG

Not sure if it is worth $500 to get the LS6 block over the LS1 block if that is what it came down to, but it is worth asking the sellers to look at the casting number.

rocketman
05-20-2006, 08:19 AM
In 2002, some LS1 engines were actually built using the LS6 block.

The casting number on the LS6 block is 12561168 and can be found under the rear of the driver's side head.

http://www.webpointusa.com/images/customers/82141/gallery/block4.JPG

Not sure if it is worth $500 to get the LS6 block over the LS1 block if that is what it came down to, but it is worth asking the sellers to look at the casting number.

Not all the ls1 camaro's in 02 where zo6 blocks, only about 20% have zo6 blocks,and the reason is gm had a production problem with ls1 blks from mexico.

DaveO
05-20-2006, 09:47 AM
...Not sure if it is worth $500 to get the LS6 block over the LS1 block if that is what it came down to, but it is worth asking the sellers to look at the casting number.

So is the only difference the bulkhead vent windows in the LS6 block? If that's the case, for what I plan on doing, I think you're right.

LARRY01Z28
05-22-2006, 05:38 AM
the LS6 block will run cooler. and has extra webbing to make it a little stronger. the oil pasages thru out the block are also a little better for flow.