PDA

View Full Version : On the road again...

Blown353
10-19-2004, 07:08 PM
Well, it's been a long time coming, but my car is finally on the road again. Backstory: pulled motor apart late 2002 to change the cam and check everything out because I decided to add a blowthru carb'd Procharger (Jody & Don were bad influences on me...) Got it back together around April 2003, then made it 250 miles before blowing up the 700R4. Dumped the slushbox for a TKO, and got 2250 miles out of it before the Comp HR and the MSD Distributor gear gave out at the end of September 2003 and trashed all my bearings. DOH! I was so mad I didn't touch it for 4 months, then got over it and started to work on it again. Decided to go EFI and make a few other changes (head porting, inconel exhaust valves, ti keepers and retainers, new custom cam to take advantage of the heads, etc.)

After a lot of nagging little issues, it's back together as of last week with FAST Wideband EFI, a semi-sheetmetal intake, and a few other upgrades. Thanks to Jody's help last Saturday it's well on the way to being tuned, I'm planning to finish off the tune when the weather clears up and head to a chassis dyno in a couple weeks after putting a few more miles on it. Hoping for ~625-650 rwhp on pump gas.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

I've got a few things which popped up in the shakedown runs, mostly the alternator. My 94 amp 12SI can't keep up at idle with the electric fans and the resulting 2 volt drop at idle really hoses the FAST, making it go really lean. A Powermaster 140 amp CS130 with 80 amps at idle is on the way and should be here tomorrow.

Planning to tear it back apart to tackle body and paint next year, and I'm seriously considering IRS or a 3-link out back. Also trying where/how to fit an intercooler in the mix without completely butchering my radiator support.

68ls1
10-19-2004, 08:15 PM
Thats just plain hardcore. I love it! Off topic, how do you like your hydroboost?

Ralph LoGrasso
10-19-2004, 08:33 PM
Bitchin'!!!! That setup looks mean!

Blown353
10-19-2004, 09:46 PM
Off topic, how do you like your hydroboost?

I really like it. Quite good pedal feedback/feel (way better than a vacuum booster but not quite as good as a manual MC), and TONS of assist-- way more than the tires can handle!

I went with the hydroboost because my vacuum is all over the place, about 9-10 in/Hg at idle, but about 14 in/Hg at cruise, so I had problems with inconsistent assist at very low speeds in traffic with my old vacuum booster. I tried running manual brakes, but even with the 15/16" bore MC and relatively long pedal travel the pedal with the PBR's was just rock hard. So I called Paul and bought one of his hydroboosts and haven't had any issues since.

About the only negative is that during low speed steering (think parking lot/driveway speed) there's a little power steering pump noise/hum transmitted through the unit into the interior. I know OEM's fought this issue and had to "tune" the noise out using special hoses and inserts in the hoses. It's not loud or obnoxious but something that you get used to. It will make you think "what the heck?" the first time you hear it though.

nitrovette
10-20-2004, 05:39 AM
Nice setup!