PDA

View Full Version : Hello

71FormulaRA3
05-18-2006, 01:03 PM
I'm researching an LT1 or possible LS1 conversion into my '71 Formula. The car is not original and I like the idea of the newer technology in my personal favorite muscle car body. The car currently has a Pontiac 400 with RA3 heads and a TH400 tranny. I'm considering the different overdrive transmissions as well, if I stay Pontiac powered it will get a built 200-R4, if it get an LT1 or LS1 it will get either a 4l60E or a T56 manual.

Please feel free to send information my way ;-) I'll do the same for you if I can.

My personal expertise are more Pontiac specific, but I'm learning more about the rest every day.

derekf
05-18-2006, 05:31 PM
Welcome to the site, er, what's your name?

We love pictures of projects - got any of yours?

Zee
05-18-2006, 07:33 PM
Welcome aboard. I converted over to a Pontiac from several Camaros about 5 years ago.

I have spent a lot of time on the PY board, TAC board, PontiacZone and Classical Pontiac. I can tell you this, Pontiac enthusiasts are sometimes real "tools" and will always have a chip on their shoulder and quite an attitude about a Chevy swap regardless of how nice or high tech the conversion is. Your car will likely not get any respect from the Pontiac folks or the Chevy fans. Some Pontiac events will not allow you to even participate.

I'm not all that into the Pontiac thing. I decided to keep mine pure poncho but would like to add FI at some point in the future. To me, I would find that cooler than an LS1 swap but there certainly are some nicely done LS1 swaps on this board.

Andrew has an absolutely gorgeous 70 GTO with an awsome injected BBC in it. Maybe he'll chime in on what his experiences with the Pontiac guys have been. http://www.lateral-g.net/borodin/

71FormulaRA3
05-19-2006, 06:46 AM
My name is Roy, I live in Meridian Idaho (just outside of Boise). I'll post som pics of my project in a few day, I don't have access to them right now, they are on a different PC.

Most Pontiac enthusiasts definetly have a chip on their shoulder, but they are also very comitted people with a lot on knoledge and very willing to help, and that's something that's hard to give up. I've had my car for 7 years now and the first 5 was building it from a $600 POS. Did 100% of the work myself in my garage (Up to final paint). It's been on the road but only lasted 650 miles until I found out I installed the fuel pump essentric wrong and it destroyed my cam and put a lot of metal in the oil. It's in the process of being torn down for cleaning, inspection and see what other damage is done. And this is where the FI LS1 or LT1 came about, hmmm maybe... reliable, powerful and decent mileage.

I haven't committed to a motor conversion yet, just investigating it. I've located a local '93 LT1 with 25k miles since rebuild with a matched T56 tranny for $800. And that is what's pushing the LT1 conversion... maybe I can even afford to do it.

But the on the other hand I want to make sure I do what I want and not regret it later. Last night I actually went to bed thinking I just need to forget about it and keep the Poncho power... but...?

Nice 70 GTO!
Do you guys have some pictures of your cars? I'd like to see them. Especially that 71 Formula 455 of yours Zee. Zee, How do you like the 5 speed behind that 455? This is anther option I've looked into a little, a 5 speed behind a 400hp 400 with 3:42 gears.

71Formula
05-19-2006, 08:12 AM
Hi, welcome to the board. I love these cars as well. I am currently building my own version of a 71 Firebird, but I am going with a fuel injected 455 backed by a 4L80E transmission. I would love to see pictures of other early second gen 'birds, I just can't get enough of them. for pictures of mine I have a temporary web site at: http://members.shaw.ca/formulabluebird/

Ralph LoGrasso
05-19-2006, 01:22 PM
Welcome to the site, Roy.

Zee
05-19-2006, 06:09 PM
I've only put about a mile or two on the combo but don't anticipate much in the way of dragstrip like traction. It should be perfect for street starts though.