PDA

View Full Version : Baer E-brake cable issues on A-body

tripower
05-17-2006, 10:46 AM
Gents,

I have the Bear Touring systems with 13" disks up front and 12" disks out back. The rear calipers have an integral parking brake mechanism built in.

On my 65 GTO, I have an issue with the intermediate cable slipping in the open "U" grooved bracket where it connects to the threaded stud going up to the e-brake pedal. (Make sense so far?) It seems that the intermediate cable slips left or right in this "U" bracket when the brake is released and pulls the cables that run from the intermediate cable to the rear e-brake cables off center so that only one brake engages partially. (Not enough to keep the car from rolling...luckily I have a manual and leave in gear)

Has anyone else had this issue and if so how did you rectify it?

Regards,
Rich

PT Goat
05-17-2006, 03:28 PM
I could be oversimplifying, but it sounds like the cable isn't adjusted tight enough to begin with?

tripower
05-18-2006, 11:03 AM
I thought that as well initially. I adjusted as the old drum system would have been adjusted and took some slack out of the line. It seems that the cable slides in the "U" bracket as the cable is released over time.

A Spotts built 421 with trips will be sweet on your 65!!

PT Goat
05-18-2006, 05:25 PM
I would probably jack up the rear tires and tighted until the parking brake started to engage (without the pedal being depressed), and then back off a few turns. If it's still slipping at that point, I'm not sure what I'd do. Have you tried Baer's tech support? I had no luck with them when I had my e-brake troubles. I found the help I needed over on the Performance Years forums.

Thanks for the compliments on my 421...I only wish it was in the car so I could enjoy it! It's still sitting in Paul's shop waiting for Federal Mogul forged .030 over 428 pistons, which they just released.

tripower
05-19-2006, 12:04 PM
I would probably jack up the rear tires and tighted until the parking brake started to engage (without the pedal being depressed), and then back off a few turns. If it's still slipping at that point, I'm not sure what I'd do. Have you tried Baer's tech support? I had no luck with them when I had my e-brake troubles. I found the help I needed over on the Performance Years forums.

Thanks for the compliments on my 421...I only wish it was in the car so I could enjoy it! It's still sitting in Paul's shop waiting for Federal Mogul forged .030 over 428 pistons, which they just released.

What type of e-brake troubles did you have?

PT Goat
05-20-2006, 07:06 PM
What type of e-brake troubles did you have?

My e-brake problem was based upon the directions from Baer, which were obviously for calipers without the integrated e-brake. They advised mounting in two different spots on either side, which wouldn't work with the e-brake. I ended up switching the caliper marked "L" to the right and vice-versa, and mounted them forward of, and just below the axle, and the e-brake cables hooked up just fine. So my problem was that I was following the directions.