PDA

View Full Version : metal spoilers

F70t/a
10-18-2004, 07:15 PM
I plan to make some spoilers for my t/a out of 24 gauge steel. just wondering if that is thick enough. I dont want to go to thick. I wanted something light

Matt@RFR
10-18-2004, 08:53 PM
How fast are you gonna go? How far apart will supports for the spoilers be? Angle of attack? Adjustable? Height? Width? Spill plates? Wicker bill? Single or double wall? If double wall, any internal structure?

F70t/a
10-19-2004, 08:47 AM
Well, I do plan to go pretty fast. Hopefully 150+, it will be a true road racer. I was hinging of making the flares on the side of the front and rear fenders out of 24 gauge metal. I was planning ti brace them from the inside for strength and then weld them on tot he body.

Matt@RFR
10-19-2004, 08:50 AM
So.... are we talking about spoilers or fender flares??????

F70t/a
10-19-2004, 09:53 AM
well both, but for right now just the flares. I do plan to make a rear deack spolier, but that will be down the road when i know what to do and how to do it. I wanted to make some flares to weld on to the body.

Matt@RFR
10-19-2004, 09:58 AM
I think 24 gauge will be fine for fender flares, as long as there's some internal support, or they end up making a 3 or 4 sided box structure with the fender. I think I'd use 20 gauge though. (Disclaimer: I've never done fender flares)

F70t/a
10-19-2004, 10:36 AM
cool thanks matt :headbang:

DLinson
10-20-2004, 09:52 AM
I made my front air spoiler out of 20 gage as well as the rear spoiler. Do you have an English wheel or planishing hammer to work teh metal into a flare shpe? The forming of the metal is what gives it it's strength. I did make some supports for my front spoiler but they were mostly for getting the correct shape. I then boxed in the back side of the spoiler which really strengthened up the front clip.

There rear spoiler was just formed sheet metal without supports. It is really storng as well and it was made of 20 gage.

I do have an English wheel that I used to form the metal.

front spoiler link (http://www.et-motorsports.cc/project_cars/nova_62_menace/Construction/Body_work/spoiler/spoiler.htm)

I have pictures of the rear spoiler construction if you would like to see them. I just don't have them on my web site.

Dennis

F70t/a
10-20-2004, 09:54 AM
Ya dennis I would love to see pics of the rear spoiler. it would help me out!! I dont have an english wheel. I plan to make one. Just dont know how.

DLinson
10-21-2004, 10:01 AM
I made my own English wheel and have a full set of plans for it. I designed it myself and made all of the parts including the rollers. If you want the plans, send me personal message. I know I've mailed out about 10 sets of plans now. If there are enough people interested, Kip at Metal Works Performance will make the rollers and a few other necessary parts for about $600/set. That was before steel prices went through the roof.

Send me your e-mail adress too so I can send some rear spoiler pics.

Dennis

F70t/a
10-21-2004, 10:07 AM
You have a pm :secret:

rb70383
06-14-2005, 03:46 AM
I made my own English wheel and have a full set of plans for it. I designed it myself and made all of the parts including the rollers. If you want the plans, send me personal message. I know I've mailed out about 10 sets of plans now. If there are enough people interested, Kip at Metal Works Performance will make the rollers and a few other necessary parts for about $600/set. That was before steel prices went through the roof.

Send me your e-mail adress too so I can send some rear spoiler pics.

Dennis

I'm I too late???:fingersx: