PDA

View Full Version : So what direction should I go?

nancejd
10-18-2004, 05:17 PM
So I have a '69 Camaro, and I'm trying to decide which way to go with the front suspension. None of the new parts are installed yet, but right now I have Global West upper arms, and the Hotchkis springs, which according to their website are 600 lbs/in. I'm planning on using QA1 shocks. So I'm trying to decide between; buying the Global West lower arms, including the QA1 coilover setup, or the control arms for the standard setup, and using the springs I already have. The coilovers come in both 250/350 and 350/450 progressive rates. The other option is to just box and reuse my stock lower arms.

David Pozzi
10-18-2004, 07:43 PM
My opinion is the 350/450 is a nice street rate but not for open track or autocross use. If you have wide tires and want to drive all-out, the 600's are required.

Global west is supposed to have stiffer springs that work with the coil-overs.

GW and Speed Tech have lower arms with urethane lower spring seats so if you trim your Hotchkis springs, you can rotate the seat to match the spring.

If you like the Hotchkis ride height, you won't fool with the spring, but if you like the car extra low, you may want some help with adjustability, either coilovers or the tubular lower arms.

I don't personally like the coil over conversions, I feel they transfer too much load to the shock mounts, but if tubular lower arms are used with them, they are OK I guess. You will be "stuck" with QA1 shocks, won't be able to experiment with other shocks unless you get another pair of coilovers. I'm not knocking QA1 shocks, just thinking I'd like to be able to experiment with shocks without having to readjust suspension height, etc.
David

baz67
10-19-2004, 06:51 PM
I agree with David. One thing I would like to add is that you do not NEED the tubular lowers. They do not help in the suspension geometry. They may add some strength and may be a little lighter. If you do not do the DSE conversion and use the QA1 coilover setup, than the tubular lowers have some advantage due to the added strength in the spring pocket. I plan on reusing my lowers, but I am doing the DSE conversion.

I would use the set up you noted first. That way you can play with you shocks to dial the suspension in. I believe that QA1 has non coilover adjustable shocks. The main disadvantage to that is the hastle to change the springs.
Brian