PDA

View Full Version : Shock options

Bill Howell
10-18-2004, 05:12 PM
There seems to be so many options for shocks these days that I seem to be lost. Would some of ya'll that have "been there, done that" give me some advice on a good set of shocks. I have decided not to notch the frame. I have purchased a 9" replacement rear end and now wonder what type shock to use. I also will use 17x8 TTII's.
Thanks for any imput,

baz67
10-19-2004, 06:38 PM
Bill, just like anything else in this hobby, it depends on how much you want to spend. Are you using the 8" rims on the back and front? If you do not need to adjust the shocks than the Hotchkis are good. A properly valved Bilstien is a great option. For some adjustablility some QA1's are popular as well. I am using the single adjustable Koni's. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket than just get some dual adjust Penske's.
Brian

zbugger
10-19-2004, 07:02 PM
What springs are you using?

Bill Howell
10-19-2004, 08:09 PM
I am just now assembling a new frame with new springs,bushings,ball joints, 9" bmr trailing arms,..... Someone had recomended the edlebrock set-up. I am running 17x8 all the way around. The Koni's were also mentioned. baz67-would you buy these again? zbugger- I have ordered "sport" springs that have a 1" drop. With the 245/45/17 this should be the right look and stance. Some shock sites do mention the shorter springs and suggest different shocks for this application.

zbugger
10-19-2004, 09:22 PM
What brand? That may help a little. You really want a shock that is better tuned to your spring. That will give you the best control. I have the Hotchkis springs on my car right now, but until I have the money, I'm gonna be running the current KYB's. I'll be switching to the Hotchkis tuned Bilstiens later. As a basic recommendation, check out the Edelbrock IAS shocks. I've heard no real complaints about them.