PDA

View Full Version : Advice on my Currie 9" - shorten it, or, sell and buy new?

BA.
05-13-2006, 09:01 AM
This may seem like a strange question to some, but, I'm hoping that someone has experience with this decision.
Today I am researching today's pricing and reading old threads, but I wanted the boards input on this.

About 13 years ago or so, I bought a new Currie 9" with a big-bearing case and 31 spline axles, a Detroit True-Trac center section, Nodular case (used), HD billet-alum pinion support with 1350 u-joint, and disc brakes. (albeit, they're really 11" Ford Explorer solid discs and will be sold one way or another)
The rear-end has never been used, and it had set me back around $2800-$2900 back then.
Ten - thirteen years pass by with no major action on the car.

Now the construction of the car is really moving forward fast and I'm realizing that the stock-width Currie was probably the wrong decision. It would have been better if I'd have shortened it a couple of inches on each side.
And, for those that would ask, I haven't bought the wheels and tires yet, but, a full DSE tub setup is going in as we speak.

I was going to simply have a local shop (dayton ohio) narrow the rear-end, but I've received some feedback that I should consider selling it as a whole, and just buy a new one. That feedback has me second-guessing my plans! :(

The approximate cost of shortening the rear end is $500 or so. (...assuming I understood things correctly)

It seems like I'd lose that much, maybe MORE, by trying to sell it and get a new one.

What would you do in this situation? Shorten this one, or, sell it and get a new unit of correct width? I'm leaning towards shortening this unit.

Sparky67
05-13-2006, 09:58 AM
This may seem like a strange question to some, but, I'm hoping that someone has experience with this.
Today I am researching today's pricing and reading old threads, but I wanted the boards input on this.

About 13 years ago or so, I bought a new Currie 9" with a big-bearing case and 31 spline axles, a Detroit True-Trac center section, Nodular case (used), HD billet-alum pinion support with 1350 u-joint, and disc brakes. (albeit, they're really 11" Ford Explorer solid discs)
The rear-end has never been used, and it had set me back around $2800-$2900 back then.
Ten - thirteen years pass by with no major action on the car.

Now the construction of the car is really moving forward fast and I'm realizing that the stock-width Currie was probably the wrong decision. It would have been better if I'd have shortened it a couple of inches on each side.
And, for those that would ask, I haven't bought the wheels and tires yet, but, a full DSE tub setup is going in as we speak.

I was going to simply have a local shop (dayton ohio) narrow the rear-end, but I've received some feedback that I should consider selling it as a whole, and just buy a new one.

The approximate cost of shortening the rear end is $500 or so. (...assuming I understood things correctly)

It seems like I'd lose that much, maybe MORE, by trying to sell it and get a new one.

What would you do in this situation? Shorten this one, or, sell it and get a new unit of correct width? I'm leaning towards shortening this unit.

You can narrow the rear end, but Currie axles can't be resplined or at least my 35 spline axles couldn't be resplined. So just sell the axles on e-bay or here. The brakes can be sold too. Are you going Quadra-link or leaf springs? My rear end is an Extreme duty housing, so housing is 3.25" instead of 3". So Kyle at DSE narrowed my housing and installed the quadra-link brackets.

Jeff

ProdigyCustoms
05-13-2006, 01:25 PM
If you sell it at GP Super Store we can set you up with a complete Moser 9", Nodular case, tru track, big ends, 33 spline, etc for about $2200, so use that number when doing your math. You could probably get almost that for your rear on e bay. I would try it, if it brings less then $1700 or so, narrow yours.

If you narrow yours, we can save you some money on Moser axles.

Blaster11
05-13-2006, 02:51 PM
If you are planning on running custom wheels/offsets anyway I say run it as is and spend your money somewhere else. Just my opinion:seizure:

Bruce

Sparky67
05-13-2006, 07:58 PM
If you sell it at GP Super Store we can set you up with a complete Moser 9", Nodular case, tru track, big ends, 33 spline, etc for about $2200, so use that number when doing your math. You could probably get almost that for your rear on e bay. I would try it, if it brings less then $1700 or so, narrow yours.

If you narrow yours, we can save you some money on Moser axles.

Also you will need to ad the freight from Florida to Dayton. I am not sure if it would be wise to be sell your currie and then buy a new rear end from Florida. I am sure the shipping costs are rather high now, due to the cost of fuel.

Jeff

ProdigyCustoms
05-13-2006, 08:32 PM
Actually Jeff he is lucky by location, shipping would be cheap because it would drop ship, UPS, from right around the corner in Indiana, just 143 miles away. Heck, he could run over and grab it in 2 hours.

But it still may be his best option to narrow his if he cannot get strong money out of the one he has.

BA.
05-15-2006, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I'll check on those axles to be sure they can be shortened, but I'm pretty sure they can be.

I need to price out those old disc brakes and sell them!

quadfather
05-16-2006, 02:53 AM
how much do you need to shorten the rear ? most currie and aftermarket axles have 4 inches or more of spline at the ends of the axles. leaving you a couple inches a side to play with. depending on how much you need to narrow it , you may be able to cut the axles you have , and just narrow the rear. that shouldn.t cost you more than 200.00, if it does go somewhere else. i would first pull the axles and check.

BA.
05-16-2006, 06:29 PM
excellent advice, I'll definitely check on that. Thanks Quad!

I was only expecting to shorten the rear about 2 inches, maybe 3 at the most, on both sides. I hadn't researched it yet, nor broken out the math skills. :)
The width is 60" now, and I just want the rims to have a nice presentable depth to them, nothing ghetto. ;)

How much spline do I need to remain on the axle to be well in the safe range?

quadfather
05-17-2006, 03:55 PM
at least the dia. of axle would be min. length for the splines . but if you cut them too short you'll have to make sure the spline doesn't bottom out in the posi. i have seen poeple even undercut the the ends of the spline so they would go in farther . but i wouldn't recomend that. i just cut off the ends in the chiop saw and use a belt sander to put a radius back on the end of the axle.