PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass hoods

B Schein
10-18-2004, 02:47 PM
I want to get a fiberglass Hood for my car for two reasons first being that my stock steel hood must weight about 90 pounds. And secondly I am having troubles getting it to fit right with my junky after market fenders I need the hood to be about a 1/4 inch narrower at the back and this would be easy to do with fiberglass. I currently have a original SS hood I already bought new louvers for it so I want to get a fiber glass SS hood. The only two companies that I have been able to find that make them are Unlimited Products and VFN. Has any one ever had experience with ether of these companies what was the fit and finish of their products, who would you buy from if you had the choice.

Brian

68protouring454
10-18-2004, 04:14 PM
brian, i would not even try unlimitied, i have heard nothing but horror stories about them and customer service, just check out the better business bureau, as for vfn i have read nothing but good things about their products other than being pricey, but you get what you pay for
jake

Brad
10-18-2004, 06:06 PM
ACK!!!!! Unlimited aka UP22 STAY AWAY from them. I have one of their hoods unfortunantly. Nothing about it fits. The finish is sorry as well....I've spent 20+ hours of fixing and grinding the thing to look half assed alright.

qwik1320
10-18-2004, 07:02 PM
Brian,
Stay away from Unlimited. I bought one of their hoods back in 87 and the thing was awesome so after the accident last year I bought another one from them. What a P.O.S! We spent hours trying to get the thing to fit (sides bowed up). Finally got it looking decent but in the past 3 months since it was painted I have bumps on both sides where the hinges bolt to the hood and you can see the underlying reinforcement frame throught the top gel coat. In fact I wouldn't even call it a gel coat because if you look at the hood at the right angle you can see the fiberglass strands....thanks UP22 :ripped:

TurboLark
10-18-2004, 07:04 PM
I've got to agree with these guys. Stay away from UP. I live near them, and have been thru the plant. I looked at 15 hoods for my 88 GT mustang before giving up. Not a single piece that comes out of there(that i have sen) has been straight or fit correctly.

Jim Nilsen
10-18-2004, 09:05 PM
VFN has very good quality. The pieces are as strong and light as possible and if you tell them that you are going to use it on the street they will make it a little stronger and heavier to suit your needs.

Goodluck , Jim Nilsen

kman67rsss
10-19-2004, 05:13 PM
does VFN have a web site, and if so can someone post it. thanks

MrQuick
10-19-2004, 06:11 PM
http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/ this should pop

hotrodgary
10-20-2004, 05:04 AM
UNLIMITED PRODUCTS = :barf: