PDA

View Full Version : Procharger to carb hat pix

whytry
05-11-2006, 09:30 PM
Anybody have any good pics of how they ran the tubing from Carb hat to Procharger? I have mine mocked up below but it the carb hat is not seating on top of the carb. Did anybody have to run a carb spacer or something? I know I can probably muscle it into position but then I know that's not right as well. Here are some pics.

I will be able to work on this again tomorrow night when I get home, but I thought if I already have some ideas from others I will try those 1st....

THX

Blown353
05-12-2006, 11:14 AM
Remove the hoses, bolt the carb hat down snug so it's flat against the carb but it can still be rotated, then loosen the discharge housing on the supercharger. Rotate everything while holding the elbow in place until you get things lined up well, then tighten the discharge housing and carb hat put sharpie marks on the 3 parts so you know how the elbow was clocked and the carb hat was clocked on the carb. Install the hoses starting with the carb hat to elbow then install the hose for the supercharger on the elbow and then slide it over the supercharger discharge. You should then be able to rotate the hat and elbow down over the carb stud.

I had the same issues with my car when getting the hat and elbow lined up. You just need to spend some time fiddling with everything with the hoses off first.

Also, you may want to start thinking about a different carb hat-- that appears to be the ATI "tall" hat, and it has very uneven airflow distribution... you'll have big A/F ratio changes from cylinder to cylinder. I would strongly suggest you look into a CSU, EV, or SDCE hat, far better and more even airflow out of them. I've been down the "hat swap" path before and a good hat will make a HUGE difference! A bad hat will not only lose power but can hurt the engine because of uneven air/fuel distribution causing a few cylinders to run really lean.

Troy

Y-TRY
05-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Ditto on Blown383's comments, but that's not an ATI hat is it?

If I have the room, I'm going with the EV hat. No way I'll have room for the CSU one, but they told me to atleast change to EV. I have an ATI now, with a spacer.

whytry
05-12-2006, 02:11 PM
My hat is from CSU, I have plenty of room with the cowl hood I am running... Can't wait get the notched valve cover back tonight, hopefully get it fired up over the weekend!!!

Thanks for the step by step on the carb hat and discharge issue. Hopefully more pics to follow with it all done!!!

shmoov69
05-12-2006, 08:14 PM
On my CSU hat, I had to angle it down to clear the hood (after cutting the innerstructure (DOH!!). We welded a piece of aluminum to the bottom about 3/4" in the back and down to nothing on the front. Made it out of 4" conduit and cut it and bent it to fit. Actually can't even tell it wasn't made that way.

whytry
05-15-2006, 07:06 AM
Got any pics?

camaro608
05-15-2006, 03:32 PM
this is all i got anyone else?

Y-TRY
05-15-2006, 06:28 PM
this is all i got anyone else?

Hey... no fair. That's not a carb hat! Sure looks good, though.

67 caprice
05-16-2006, 04:55 PM
Hope this helps.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/623346/1

shmoov69
05-16-2006, 07:18 PM
The one pic is when I first got it together and the cheapie hat worked fine until I changed heads & intake, which in turn changed the angle of the charge tube. The second is the CSU hat that works fine the way it is. I did have to add a little height to the back of it though to get the angle needed to clear the hood, which is the third pic I just took for ya!
Sorry no better pics!