PDA

View Full Version : Master Cylinder Question

johnm
10-18-2004, 10:34 AM
Ok, I have a 1978 Trans am, I am doing the C5 front brake conversion, and the LS1 rear brake conversion. I have a hydroboost that I am putting on as well. What MC do you guys thing is appropriate.

John

68ls1
10-18-2004, 06:57 PM
I have done considerable research into this and talked extensively with Paul at Hydrotech. For all out bang for the buck simplicity the C3 M/C is the way to go (77-82). It has 1 1/8 bore and would work nicely on your application, and it's cheap. However it's a heavy cast iron beast and in my opinion ugly. The alternative is a C5 M/C which is lighter and nicer on the eyes but it uses some oddball threads at the M/C itself. They are 12 mm ISO bubble fittings. The C5 is also quite a bit more expensive to buy. There are change over fittings available for the C5 M/C but I have yet to locate them.
Thats all I know.
Noel.

Hydratech®
10-20-2004, 05:34 AM
johnm - you would indeed do well to run the C3 Vette disc / disc mc, as its 1 1/8" bore works splendidly with the hydraulic brake assist + the brakes you are running at the wheels. The C5 mc is much lighter, and has some bling factor to it, and its 1" bore disc / disc configuration is adequate, but watch your wallet as these things are 2 bills new. I have seen a few go through Ebay once in a while, though risky per the used factor.

Noel - here are the Goodridge part numbers on the fittings:
70513 = 12mm x 1.5 x -3 AN
70510 = 12mm x 1.0 x -3 AN
These are stainless male / male adapters that will produce 2 AN -3 male nipples for you to connect to. These are available through http://ormebrothers.com/ and probably any other place that markets Goodridge brand goodies.

I have also attached a couple of pics of a C5 Vette mc that has had its main body polished. This will probably hook Noel beyond any hope of recovery (!)