PDA

View Full Version : Shaved doors handles not allowed

FJB2069
05-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Has anyone ran into an issue where the track would not allow a car to run that had shaved door handles? Safety issue not being able to open door I guess.

TonyL
05-11-2006, 01:51 PM
yes. It's an nhra and ihra rule. you can french a button into the window sill that does the trick though. or a lever.

FJB2069
05-11-2006, 02:39 PM
Not worried about drag strips. I just want to take it to road coarse and mess around. Most likely Gingerman.

mpozzi
05-11-2006, 03:40 PM
Check with the event organizers as they'll tell you if it's against the tech rules for car preparation. It appears to be a safety issue as if the corner workers need to extricate you out of the vehicle in a hurry, the door latch must be easily accessed and visible.

Some tracks allow private use and for this you might be okay with the shaved handles. Out here on the west coast, some tracks don't require corner workers if there's less than six participants for a single-day private track rental. For that type of environment, you're on your own safetywise.

Mary Pozzi

trackrat79
05-23-2006, 04:34 PM
But it does not surprise me. It is realy kind of stupid if you ask me. Since a lot of race cars don't even have doors that open let alone have opening mecanizmes on the out side. Ask them if they will let you run with the windows down and the inside lever highlighted for easy identification.