PDA

View Full Version : Need engine specifics help

Chris's69
05-11-2006, 08:02 AM
Hey guys ...
Need the help of the Pro's in here to I.D. my engines potential.
I bought my engine from a local shop that has been in business for a long time. They stand behind their work to the point where a 50,000 miles warrenty also came with the engine. Unfortunetly what didn't come with was the specifics. Compresion ratio .. redline .. etc.
Here's what I do know:
350 ... 4 bolt main ... double roller timing chain ... high vol. oil pump ... roller tip rockers ... Keith Black Hypereutectic Pistons ... Tri-cut three angle valve job ... 202/160 Valve Heads.
The Cam is from Crower: "HOT"
Intake 270* Lift .456
Exhaust 276* Lift .458
Edelbrock 600cfm
Hooker 1 5/8 headers
Flowmaster 2 1/2 inch dual exhaust with 40 series delta flow mufflers.
I'm "told" this combination should net me roughly 350hp and 400 lbs of tq.

Can any of the Pro's confirm this for me, maybe give me any other info I would be missing?

Thanks !!

TPI Monte SS
05-11-2006, 08:38 PM
I'm no pro, but I've studied the good 'ol SBC and I'm building one now for my Monte.

I think their estimate for HP is maybe a bit on the optimistic side, unless those heads flow amazingly well. The cam is very mild. I'd guess it makes peak horsepower around 5K rpms, maybe even earlier. Redline would depend on a few things, but I wouldn't wind that motor much over 5500 since it's not going to be making power up there. The compression ratio is going to depend on what pistons they used, and what size combustion chambers are in the heads. It could be anywhere from 8.5:1 on up. For example, if it's a flat-top piston with a 72cc chamber, it's near 9.5:1. Installing 64cc heads boost that all the way to 10.4:1. Now, if the pistons are dished, that's going to skew the numbers as well.