PDA

View Full Version : Mark VIII and 72 Chevelle

JJSmitches
05-09-2006, 11:22 PM
When I first started mocking up the Mark VIII to install into my 72 Chevelle I noticed the fan appeared to be a bit taller than the radiator. I though this was just because it was resting on the lower radiator support.

So I measured and sure enough my radiator core is actually only 18.5" in height.

Has anyone else run into this and how did you go about dealing with the problem...OR, should I not worry about it?

Wont make the fan less efficient since it will be pulling air from the 1/2" gap where the fan shroud isnt flush with the radiator?

gmachinz
05-10-2006, 03:19 AM
You can trim what you need to take off from the bottom of the shroud and it will fit. You have about 1.25" to work with before fan contact with the radiator/support is a concern. However, if you (as we do) install the DC Controller inside the shroud itself, you need to double check your clearances before cutting. I like to fasten the controller to the shroud using 3/16 aluminum pop rivets and securing the wires along the bottom with black conduit, then out from the side and up using black 3/4" fasteners and a couple more rivets securing it to the side of the shroud-nice, clean install look. -Jabin

JJSmitches
05-10-2006, 08:50 AM
If I trim the bottom of the shroud do I need to close the bottom off again so that it is closed against the radiator?

gmachinz
05-10-2006, 12:52 PM
I guess it depends on how accurate you trim, but you should be able to use adhesive-backed universal weatherstripping to seal the bottom against the radiator. -Jabin

engine
05-16-2006, 08:34 PM
I have a 27 X 17 radiator corvette rad in my car. I lined up the top of the fan with the top of the radiator. There is 1" of the fan shroud that hangs below my core suppoer. I took a piece of 18 gage sheetmetal, and screwed it to my core support, and to the bottom of the fan shroud, sort of making a cover that doesn't allow for much air to bypass the radiator from the bottom...and also acts a little like an air-dam making a smooth transition down there.