PDA

View Full Version : LS1 RE-build OR LT1 Fun

67drop
05-09-2006, 11:13 PM
Ok... here's the problem that has been racking my brain for the last two weeks. I originally was going to swap the LT1 and T56 from my 97 WS6 donor car, but last month picked up an LS1 from a 97 corvette. The LS1 is mostly complete with intake, water pump, heads, block, vette oil pan. The motor was said to be run with no oil:banghead: so i picked up for next to nothing. It still needs coil packs, bell housing, clutch and a few acc from the front. Is it worth the rebuild? I priced it out about 2k-3k for the rebuild. What would you do? $$$$ is an issue for me, but i dont want to wish i had or had not later. Any advice or thoughts on this issue would be greatly appreciated

WS6
05-10-2006, 06:26 PM
well ill tell you now everyone is going to say rebuild the LS and junk the LT1. im biased as hell though and say screw them build the LT1 and go kick some LSx ass. its actually pretty damn cheap and easy to do. LSx arent the only ones capable of well over 400 rwhp with heads/cam and still be streetable. besides no matter what you do to the LSx it will never ever sound as good as an LTx. told ya im biased

rocketman
05-10-2006, 07:02 PM
i doubt you can rebuild an ls1 for 3k.

i have an lt1 z28.and i can out run just about all the ls1's in town.lt-1's are good engine's,i would switch just to have an ls1.

nancejd
05-10-2006, 07:09 PM
I'll qualify this by saying that I have a '96 LT1 Z, and I'd go with an LS1. Engine part development is practically dead for an LT1, there just is no money in it. Plus, the coil pack ignition is infinitly better than the optispark in my opinion. You have a superior head design right from the factory with an LS1.

I think in the end you can make tons of power with an LT1, but the LS1 is going to give it you a lot easier, and at a much more mannered level.

67SSDan
05-11-2006, 02:08 PM
In my personal opinion.. build the hell out of that LS1.

Oh hey, and by the way... I'll buy that LT1 off of you for my car. :)

All joking asside, PM me if you go that route, and I might take it off your hands.

67drop
05-11-2006, 07:29 PM
[quote=rocketman]i doubt you can rebuild an ls1 for 3k.

If you'd like the number 2 Diablo Motors in San Jose.............. $3200 rebuilt LS1 with core.:jawdrop:

If I decided to sell the LT1 w 70k whats that worth? And is the bellhousing the same for my T56?

andrewb70
05-11-2006, 08:18 PM
[quote=rocketman]i doubt you can rebuild an ls1 for 3k.

If you'd like the number 2 Diablo Motors in San Jose.............. $3200 rebuilt LS1 with core.:jawdrop:

If I decided to sell the LT1 w 70k whats that worth? And is the bellhousing the same for my T56?

You will have to get an LS style T56. The LT1 style T56 will not work without extensive parts swapping.

Andrew

WS6
05-12-2006, 04:57 PM
the bellhousings are different. so you will have to get an LS style bellhousing to match the LS1 style T56.